Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #1

Share |

How do I cut off sistered joists to accept hangers

Hi, I'm working on a room remodel where I've sistered up some 2x6 joists that are attached to the former exterior sheathing of the original house (the room I'm working on is an older addition) as well as a 2x2" piece of wood also nailed outside the sheathing, through to the studs behind the sheathing.

I've already setup the sistered joists so that they stop just short of the 2x2" wood, intending to use double 2x6 joist hangers (which I've already done on the other side of this room where there is a beam instead of a wall with sheathing).

The question is, how could I best make neat, precise, true cuts through the original joists so that they'll be flush with the sistered ones and so I can slip 1 or 2 long 2x6 ledger boards between the stud wall and the ends of the joists to accept the hangers?

I was originally thinking a beam saw (huge circular saw, w/ a 16" blade) or one of those demolition saws with a large blade so that I could make a nice even single pass cut. I think trying to do this with a reciprocating saw would be too annoying and would result in something that's not a nice flush cut, plus I couldn't get all the way to the top of the joist (which has plywood right on top of it) that way.

Any suggestions other than renting a huge saw and using a large demolition blade (also, there are at least a couple of nails on each joist that would be in the way of the cut, near the bottom, where the joist is nailed into the 2x2")?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
How do I cut off sistered joists to accept hangers-joists1.jpg   How do I cut off sistered joists to accept hangers-joists2.jpg  

tgice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #2

How do I cut off sistered joists to accept hangers

TG,
I don't think I would use a large circular saw overhead. You're just asking for a kickback. I would use a sawzall after marking a line to follow around both sides and the bottom. The joist hanger allows you a little deviation. There are wider blades available for the sawzalls now which help to keep your cut going straight. Cutting overhead is always a pain, so make sure you have some goggles on, not just safety glasses. Cutting all the way through shouldn't be a problem either, just do a dragging cut with the sawzall when you are almost through.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cut off saw, demolition, joist, joist hanger