Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2007, 08:10 PM   #1

Share |

How do I cut drywall

Hello all..... I've recently taken out a set of double windows and need to fill in the holes. What's the best way to get a smooth cut on drywall? Score and snap, regular skill saw blade, plywood blade, blade turned backwards, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Marty

martyshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:34 PM   #2

How do I cut drywall

A good old razor blade and a straight edge.

warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:44 AM   #3

How do I cut drywall

Perhaps I mis-understand your question but if you are putting drywall up in a place where a window used to be I don't see why an exceptionally straight cut would be needed. Just use a drywall saw. Hand saws for cutting drywall are just a few bucks and cut like a hot knife through butter.

Once you get the drywall cut to the approximate size (give or take an eighth to a quarter inch), use drywall screws to attach it to whatever you have installed to support the drywall (strips of 1x2s). Once it's taped and painted it won't matter that the cuts weren't perfectly straight. Fitting drywall patches is exceptionally forgiving.

Hope that helps!
xquercus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:10 AM   #4

How do I cut drywall

I use a SHARP utility knife and score and snap. If I have to use a saw I use a regular 8point handsaw.
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #5

How do I cut drywall

The best way to cut drywall in my opinion is to use a t-square and a utility knife. Score it on one side, snap it, and then cut with the knife where it snapped to cut the other side.
msajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #6

How do I cut drywall

I agree, it don't get much easier than that. I use saws to cut out a hole when the drywall is already up (like for adding a new electric box), but for initial cutting to size before hanging...scoring and snapping is the way to go.

T-Square is a MUST unless you're really, really careful to hold that straight edge perfectly still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msajeep View Post
The best way to cut drywall in my opinion is to use a t-square and a utility knife. Score it on one side, snap it, and then cut with the knife where it snapped to cut the other side.

FatAugie is offline   Reply With Quote