How Do I Build This Sofft? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How do I build this sofft?

Finishing my basement and running into an issue.

I'm totally at a loss as to how to go about building this soffit. To start, I know we identify the lowest point of the drain pipe and it's from that point we build the soffit. Got that.

The part I'm stuck on is I've got a drain pipe that connects to a sewer stack and I don't know how to build around it because on one side I have a foundation wall and the other is a foundation wall with a window. I have a sewer stack on the opposite side of the basement and wont have any issues boxing it in. I'm planning to box it with the dimensions of 14"x14"x14". Trying to keep all things equal, I'd like to carry this to the side I'm having issues with. This is not where I'm running into issues.

My issue: I'm dropping the height of the wall to accommodate the drain pipe and how do I accommodate the drop in ceiling height, build around the drain, and also close in the sewer pipe?

Also, approximately 6-8" to the left of the window is where I plan to build the next wall which cuts back to close in the half bath. I think I have a hold on this part as the soffit would run from the start point back to the other wall which is framed and the soffit would carry into the bathroom and I would then build the wall around the soffit.

One last thing is that I'm dropping the ceiling height by 1.5" due to other plumbing. That being said, I have not yet hung the 2x4s for that and as such, I can use those to tie the soffit into the joists.
I've attached some images below. If anyone has any ideas or can pull a diagram on this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Advertisement

Last edited by swt99svt; 01-15-2012 at 09:11 PM.
swt99svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 528

I can only go by the pictures but I think I would have tryed to make some changes to the drain lines before starting this and would have framed in my boxing before insulating.
Not sure how anyone would be able to explain how to do this job without being there to look at it.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Just build individual soffits and boxes around everything you have to hide. Put a nailer on the floor joists and nailer on the wall...then build yuor 14 x 14 L-peice and attach. The soffit can be smaller or larger at one end if you have to to get around window. Do the same type of box around verticle stack also. Try to keep the ceiling as high as possible...the soffits and boxes will not be that noticable....good luck

Last edited by joefrey; 01-15-2012 at 10:12 PM.
joefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
Love for Construction

Rewards Points: 250

If I were you I would frame a niche around the window so it looks like if is supposed to be there. You could make it look nice with framing a 14" deep bench, side chases, and soffit above. This way you don't just have a chase on one side of the window, out of balance.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,030

By the pictures I think it is under 12", Run soffit from wall to wall, don't end it part way through. Put a 2x2 on the wall, another on the ceiling. hang the drywall from the ceiling one, screw a 2x2 or metal channel to it. then screw bottom on.
For the window I agree with (weird symbols) above do the same on both sides and shelves or bench or ??? under the window. What room is this in?

Last edited by mae-ling; 01-16-2012 at 02:46 AM.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrey View Post
Just build individual soffits and boxes around everything you have to hide. Put a nailer on the floor joists and nailer on the wall...then build yuor 14 x 14 L-peice and attach. The soffit can be smaller or larger at one end if you have to to get around window. Do the same type of box around verticle stack also. Try to keep the ceiling as high as possible...the soffits and boxes will not be that noticable....good luck

Solid! I ended up doing just this. I ran the front plate of the soffit from the left and brought it to the right of the window in front of the sewer stack. With this, I ended up enlarging the overall size of the case for the stack to 15"x15".

This is in my basement. As opposed to running "wall to wall" I ran it from the wall to the left and am ending it at the stack where the stack itself will be boxed.

The only issue I ran into was after everything was up and nailed, the soffit was off between 1/4" to 1/2". I ended up having to pull it away front the 2x4 which was connected to the joists and shimmed it to get it plumb... Not ideal but it's in and almost done.

Now I need to decide if I should put in a half bath, or not. If so, now is the time I need to bust the concrete and connect to this stack...

I've attached some pictures which should give you an idea of what I did.

Last edited by swt99svt; 01-16-2012 at 08:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to swt99svt For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,030

Does it visually make sense to just stop it past the post or would it look better to carry it across to the other side?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #8

Good question and I left this part out... Eight feet to the right of that post is a walkout basement door. I can't carry it much further and I believe carrying it any further would not cause it to look right.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to swt99svt For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-17-2012)