Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How do I attach picture frame moulding?

I am doing picture frame moulding as part of my wainscoting. How would I attach the picture frame moulding which is under my chair rail to the wall.

Do I just glue it to the wall? It doesn't always fall where the stud is in order to put in a finishing nail.

Thanks, I'm getting there..........

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Gluing is perfect. I have often suggested the optimal product for this, p2-10.

Find it here: http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...FQLixgoddQvAFw

The important part is spacing for frame balance, one to another, and off each wall intersection.... AND to make the placement of the existing wall electric receptacles fit like they weren't after-thoughts.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #3

Thanks Willie.

I will glue it. I wonder if I can get that adhesive at HD?

Yes, I do have to balance it out. I hope I can do a good job.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #4

If the wainscotting is wood, just put in some finishing nails that enter the wood. Shooting them in is easy, hand nailing is a pain.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #5

The only problem ron is that the studs are at 16 inch intervals, and my picture frame doesn't always land where the studs are.

(What I have is a chair rail and then square picture frames evenly spaced along the wall)

Yes, finishing nails are a pain, but that is what I have used throughout my basement for the trim. And all the holes to fill afterwards........
Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #6

If wainscotting is wood, and the chair rail is mounted to the wainscotting, you do not need to hit all the studs.
How you mount it will depend on what it's mounted too.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Household Handyman

yummy mummy, I think what Ron is trying to tell you is that if you already have wainscotting, then you now have a "wall" that is wood or a wood by-product material. You really don't have to drive the finishing nails into the studs, small finishing nails, or maybe even brads, will be fine driven into the wainscotting. The glue idea is fine also, in fact I would probably use both of them. The glue to actually hold the trim on, and the finishing nails to put the trim into place while the glue dries. Please post pictures when you have completed the job. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #8

What I have is just drywall. I have put in a chair rail type trim and now I want to do a picture frame moulding underneath. The only thing that I have is the drywall to adhere the picture frame moulding.

I am certain I have not done this wainscoting in the usual fashion that it is done in. It is my "improvisation" I guess.......
Old 04-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
Kitchen remodel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
What I have is just drywall. I have put in a chair rail type trim and now I want to do a picture frame moulding underneath. The only thing that I have is the drywall to adhere the picture frame moulding.

I am certain I have not done this wainscoting in the usual fashion that it is done in. It is my "improvisation" I guess.......
We have done a faux wainscotting in remodels before. For the picture frame moulding, we start with the horizontal sections first as you can hit at least one stud. We will apply a small bead of white caulking to the backside of the trim. Then be sure to glue your miters together.

You will be good to go with that.

Have fun and post some pics when your done
A.W. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post

As the new housing market dollar seems to keep getting tighter and tighter, more and more new construction is showing up with wall treatments exactly as you are describing... molding directly on drywall. If approached with correspondingly different finish textures and paint types, the lower portions of walls can appear to be a distinctly contrasting type of finish than the upper... lending itself to the ideal foundation for faux wainscoting.

You're at the "cutting edge" of new construction.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.W. Davis View Post
We have done a faux wainscotting in remodels before. For the picture frame moulding, we start with the horizontal sections first as you can hit at least one stud. We will apply a small bead of white caulking to the backside of the trim. Then be sure to glue your miters together.

You will be good to go with that.

Have fun and post some pics when your done
That is exactly what I was planning on doing. I haven't yet quite decided if I will end up going with the picture frame moulding, but at least now I have an idea as to how to attach it.

I will post some pics as long as everyone promises not to look too closely at my work..........
I just have the tiles to set and then I'm done.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
As the new housing market dollar seems to keep getting tighter and tighter, more and more new construction is showing up with wall treatments exactly as you are describing... molding directly on drywall. If approached with correspondingly different finish textures and paint types, the lower portions of walls can appear to be a distinctly contrasting type of finish than the upper... lending itself to the ideal foundation for faux wainscoting.

You're at the "cutting edge" of new construction.
I really doubt I am at the cutting edge, but I like to think "outside the box"........