Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

How do I adjust height on screen door?

I bought a replacement screen door (typical wood screen door). My door height is not a standard size so I have to take about an inch and a half out of the door. Any ideas on how I might do that?

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Cut the bottom of the door. Door manufactures allow more material on the bottom of doors for this reason. measure from the top of the opening and down to the threshold. I always allow 1/8" at top and 1/4" on bottom with 1/8" on left and right sides. Measure the storm and mark the bottom take a square and run a utility knife along the square into the wood the run your pencil along the knife cut to high light it so you can cut on the outside of the line with a skill saw. then finish it up with a sander or sand paper. easing the edges with some sand paper.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
Cut the bottom of the door. Door manufactures allow more material on the bottom of doors for this reason. measure from the top of the opening and down to the threshold. I always allow 1/8" at top and 1/4" on bottom with 1/8" on left and right sides. Measure the storm and mark the bottom take a square and run a utility knife along the square into the wood the run your pencil along the knife cut to high light it so you can cut on the outside of the line with a skill saw. then finish it up with a sander or sand paper. easing the edges with some sand paper.

Once I take the material out of the frame what should I use to glue it back together?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #4

I think I missed understood you some where . Is it not a wood storm door?
If so the door should be solid. Why would you have to glue the wood back?? Bob
Old 06-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
I think I missed understood you some where . Is it not a wood storm door?
If so the door should be solid. Why would you have to glue the wood back?? Bob

It is a wood SCREEN door like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...387&lpage=none
Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

What Bob meant is the FRAME of the screen door would be solid, so no need to glue any pieces back on. Just cut it off.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

This is not a screen door you can cut as stated. Why would you say it's a wood door when it states in the description, it's vinyl? In either case, the frame is too thin to cut.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
This is not a screen door you can cut as stated. Why would you say it's a wood door when it states in the description, it's vinyl? In either case, the frame is too thin to cut.
Ron

Mine is wood.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanttodoitright View Post
What Bob meant is the FRAME of the screen door would be solid, so no need to glue any pieces back on. Just cut it off.

OK can we start over? I have a wood screen door that I need to cut down. Any tips?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:44 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

How wide is the wood on the top and bottom? The one shown is too narrow to cut off an 1 1/2" anyplace.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #11

Tripower Sorry for the miss understanding. I did not see the link at the bottom of the page. Its still can be cut but as stated above there is not enough wood to still give the door some ridge ablity. but if your handy you should be able to a accomplish this task. I would un screen the top part of the door and spread the two side rails apart just enough to cut the dowels that secure the side rails to the top header. then get your self some 3/8 glue dowels from home depot or Lowe's, mark down from the top side rails the amount that has to be cut off the door. lay the top header inside the rails and line the top of the header with the mark you just made.same on the other side. draw two marks on either side of the rail and header where the center of the old dowels are located. then drill them out with a Brad point drill bit 3/8". apply some glue on the dowels and insert them in the header, two at each end. then spread the stiles and line up the header with the holes you just drilled into the styles. then take a hammer and a block of wood and tap the styles into the header,or you could use a bar clamp . et set until dry and re-screen. good luck BOB
Old 06-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Tripower Sorry for the miss understanding. I did not see the link at the bottom of the page. Its still can be cut but as stated above there is not enough wood to still give the door some ridge ablity. but if your handy you should be able to a accomplish this task. I would un screen the top part of the door and spread the two side rails apart just enough to cut the dowels that secure the side rails to the top header. then get your self some 3/8 glue dowels from home depot or Lowe's, mark down from the top side rails the amount that has to be cut off the door. lay the top header inside the rails and line the top of the header with the mark you just made.same on the other side. draw two marks on either side of the rail and header where the center of the old dowels are located. then drill them out with a Brad point drill bit 3/8". apply some glue on the dowels and insert them in the header, two at each end. then spread the stiles and line up the header with the holes you just drilled into the styles. then take a hammer and a block of wood and tap the styles into the header,or you could use a bar clamp . et set until dry and re-screen. good luck BOB

Thanks! That's what I was looking for!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #13

Glad to been of any help, let us know if you have any problems, BOB