Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 334
Rewards Points: 250
Default

How do I adjust height on screen door?


I bought a replacement screen door (typical wood screen door). My door height is not a standard size so I have to take about an inch and a half out of the door. Any ideas on how I might do that?

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
 
buletbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LONG ISLAND N.Y
Posts: 1,543
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

How do I adjust height on screen door?


Cut the bottom of the door. Door manufactures allow more material on the bottom of doors for this reason. measure from the top of the opening and down to the threshold. I always allow 1/8" at top and 1/4" on bottom with 1/8" on left and right sides. Measure the storm and mark the bottom take a square and run a utility knife along the square into the wood the run your pencil along the knife cut to high light it so you can cut on the outside of the line with a skill saw. then finish it up with a sander or sand paper. easing the edges with some sand paper.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 334
Rewards Points: 250
Default

How do I adjust height on screen door?


Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
Cut the bottom of the door. Door manufactures allow more material on the bottom of doors for this reason. measure from the top of the opening and down to the threshold. I always allow 1/8" at top and 1/4" on bottom with 1/8" on left and right sides. Measure the storm and mark the bottom take a square and run a utility knife along the square into the wood the run your pencil along the knife cut to high light it so you can cut on the outside of the line with a skill saw. then finish it up with a sander or sand paper. easing the edges with some sand paper.

Once I take the material out of the frame what should I use to glue it back together?
tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
 
buletbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LONG ISLAND N.Y
Posts: 1,543
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

How do I adjust height on screen door?


I think I missed understood you some where . Is it not a wood storm door?
If so the door should be solid. Why would you have to glue the wood back?? Bob
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 334
Rewards Points: 250
Default

How do I adjust height on screen door?


Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
I think I missed understood you some where . Is it not a wood storm door?
If so the door should be solid. Why would you have to glue the wood back?? Bob

It is a wood SCREEN door like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...387&lpage=none
tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 75
Default

How do I adjust height on screen door?


What Bob meant is the FRAME of the screen door would be solid, so no need to glue any pieces back on. Just cut it off.
__________________
I ask the stupid questions.....but I expect the smart answers.
Wanttodoitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

How do I adjust height on screen door?


This is not a screen door you can cut as stated. Why would you say it's a wood door when it states in the description, it's vinyl? In either case, the frame is too thin to cut.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 334
Rewards Points: 250
Default

How do I adjust height on screen door?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
This is not a screen door you can cut as stated. Why would you say it's a wood door when it states in the description, it's vinyl? In either case, the frame is too thin to cut.
Ron

Mine is wood.
tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 334
Rewards Points: 250
Default

How do I adjust height on screen door?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanttodoitright View Post
What Bob meant is the FRAME of the screen door would be solid, so no need to glue any pieces back on. Just cut it off.

OK can we start over? I have a wood screen door that I need to cut down. Any tips?
tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:44 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

How do I adjust height on screen door?


How wide is the wood on the top and bottom? The one shown is too narrow to cut off an 1 1/2" anyplace.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #11
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
 
buletbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LONG ISLAND N.Y
Posts: 1,543
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

How do I adjust height on screen door?


Tripower Sorry for the miss understanding. I did not see the link at the bottom of the page. Its still can be cut but as stated above there is not enough wood to still give the door some ridge ablity. but if your handy you should be able to a accomplish this task. I would un screen the top part of the door and spread the two side rails apart just enough to cut the dowels that secure the side rails to the top header. then get your self some 3/8 glue dowels from home depot or Lowe's, mark down from the top side rails the amount that has to be cut off the door. lay the top header inside the rails and line the top of the header with the mark you just made.same on the other side. draw two marks on either side of the rail and header where the center of the old dowels are located. then drill them out with a Brad point drill bit 3/8". apply some glue on the dowels and insert them in the header, two at each end. then spread the stiles and line up the header with the holes you just drilled into the styles. then take a hammer and a block of wood and tap the styles into the header,or you could use a bar clamp . et set until dry and re-screen. good luck BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 334
Rewards Points: 250
Default

How do I adjust height on screen door?


Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
Tripower Sorry for the miss understanding. I did not see the link at the bottom of the page. Its still can be cut but as stated above there is not enough wood to still give the door some ridge ablity. but if your handy you should be able to a accomplish this task. I would un screen the top part of the door and spread the two side rails apart just enough to cut the dowels that secure the side rails to the top header. then get your self some 3/8 glue dowels from home depot or Lowe's, mark down from the top side rails the amount that has to be cut off the door. lay the top header inside the rails and line the top of the header with the mark you just made.same on the other side. draw two marks on either side of the rail and header where the center of the old dowels are located. then drill them out with a Brad point drill bit 3/8". apply some glue on the dowels and insert them in the header, two at each end. then spread the stiles and line up the header with the holes you just drilled into the styles. then take a hammer and a block of wood and tap the styles into the header,or you could use a bar clamp . et set until dry and re-screen. good luck BOB

Thanks! That's what I was looking for!
tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
 
buletbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LONG ISLAND N.Y
Posts: 1,543
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

How do I adjust height on screen door?


Glad to been of any help, let us know if you have any problems, BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entry Door---My Story----Advice Please rossmoor Building & Construction 3 02-29-2008 09:13 PM
enlarging a screen door bofusmosby Carpentry 9 05-03-2007 03:26 PM
Screen door...Where to get it? eric s General DIY Discussions 3 04-22-2007 12:14 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.