Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #1

Share |
Question

How do i add footings to a slab patio to convert to living space?

I want to turn a large patio concrete slab into a workshop and how would i go about adding footings for walls?.......would the new footings have to be doweled into the slab with rebar?

Any details would be very helpful.

Im in the phoenix AZ area ..if this helps for building code.

Project_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Chicago, IL

You need to check with your local building department to know for certain, but generally when you enclose a space such as a patio slab adjacent to a structure containing habitable space and put a roof over it, it becomes an entirely different type of structure for purposes of zoning and building code regulation, and generally the regulations you must follow are similar or identical to those for other such enclosed spaces.

OTOH if it is a freestanding "auxiliary building" it may be subject to less stringent requirements.

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #3

You might need guidance from the local building dept as to the proper methodology for your job.
Possibilities:
You could cut the edges back and pour a proper footing around the perimeter or you might be able to open spots and pour sonotubes and bridge the slab.
Or leave the slab alone and pour a footing on the outside.
Depends on the building dept.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #4

Firstly you say you want to convert the pation slab into a living space and then you go on to say it is for a workshop. These are two completely different types of construction as there will be more invlolved in converting to a living space.

Firstly work out what you will be using the space for?

Then talk to your local building department for regulations and code.

Generally a patio slab will not have DPM (Damp Proof Membrane) under the slab, so potential moisture may be an issue.

Also patio concrete is generally not a strong concrete mix so this also may pose a potential problem.

If the structure to be built is a large structure, strongly suggest you talk to a structural enguineer first and have the structure and concrete / footings designed to standard.

For a cost effective build, you could build a portal type steel frame structure and have the steel structure supported by concrete piers / piles cut throught the existing slab where the steel frame is to to be installed.

The steel posts bolted to the concrete piers. If you are concerned about moisture, either remove the slab and replace it with a conforming slab, or look at installing a membrane over the existing slab and either pour a new slab over this or a floating type floor structure.

My suggestion is that you talk to your Structural Engineer and local authority about all options...
davethebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote