Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to design deck

I have built a couple decks in the past for some friends and family but now I would like to build a deck of my own. (I previously had a stone patio). My question is, if I want to do a design say like a large diamond shape pattern on the deck boards I am assuming that the frame underneath needs to match?

Ishande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

How to design deck

It should be laid out to provide adequate nailing for the deck pieces according to the direction they run.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

How to design deck

The decking can be run diagonally across the framing. You might have to place the framing closer together to span everything properly. Where the pieces meet is an area where blocks will be needed. An incredible amount of work goes into running decking tn that type of pattern.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,054

How to design deck

yup.. as you get into more intricate decking details the framing detail will follow suit.. ive seen some decks which have required double even triple the amount of framing material in order to handle all the lines in the decking material
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

How to design deck

If you have a drawing/drafting program that will "shadow" certain components, you can draw all the deck boards just as you want them... then proceed to place the structural pieces beneath them as you choose, because you can see right through the deck boards.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

How to design deck

Thanks for the advice. Ya after some thinking today I decided that I needed to actually draw up some plans and lay the design down over the frame. Luckily I have Solidworks so I will be able to draw things up and put them exactly where I need them. Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Ishande is offline   Reply With Quote