How To Deal With This Water Problem (pics Inside)? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to deal with this water problem (pics inside)?

I have a 2.5-year-old walkout basement home, brick front with siding on back and sides. I just noticed that water appears to be getting in at the foundation in the front of the house.

Here are photos of our storm shelter area in the basement. If you’ll notice the yellow arrows, they indicate where on the plywood flooring above I have black, damp discoloration. It spans about a 5-foot length. Is this black mold?

These are photos of the front of the house, where I believe the water is getting in. The 5-ft length of black discoloration in the photos above pretty closely lines up with where the downspout is in the photos below.

Questions:

1. Do you believe this is the most likely cause of the black discoloration I see on the plywood in my storm shelter?
2. Do you believe it is black mold, or something else?
3. Should I simply first try installing a downspout extender to direct the water to the end of my flower bed where the stone wall is?
4. What should I do about the black discoloration on the wood – how should I treat it (if even just to cover up the unsightliness)?
5. Do I need to call a professional yet? If so, who do I call (e.g. plumber, foundation contractor, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Last edited by Patrick G.; 05-12-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Patrick G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

It appears that your landscaping is too high to begin with. As for whether that black marking is mold or not. You would need to get a test kit to find out. Your local city/county Public Health would have them.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

If you think that floor sheating looks bad, just imagine what the wall sheating looks like........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #4

So, for someone who isn't rich, what is the sensible thing to do about this problem?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick G. View Post
So, for someone who isn't rich, what is the sensible thing to do about this problem?
You are looking at it every time you walk outside. If you can afford the home. You can afford the repairs.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You are looking at it every time you walk outside. If you can afford the home. You can afford the repairs.
Well, I'm trying to determine what "repairs" make the most sense here. If extending the downspout prevents water from coming in, it makes the most sense to me to do that and then spray/paint or otherwise treat the black areas of the wood. Given the location of the affected area (between floors, and behind brick and a landscape stone wall), it seems like it would be incredibly expensive to replace and/or seal that area, especially since it's a game of try this and then wait for the next heavy rain.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,162

So the brick on the front is a brick veneer? It may be that window sill which is just a rowlock course of brick which is leaking

I use to have rowlocks for my window sills on the front brick veneer of my home. The mortar joints between the rowlocks leaked and without the proper flashing behind, water ran under window and into house.

My solution was to eliminate the rowlock window sills and replace with limestone.

Here is a link to a thread here on the chatroom with some photos:
Caulking Vinyl Windows in brick

From the camera view it may look like the water is running off the front face of the brick but I assure you it is not. All the water is being drawn into that mortar joint, running down behind the brick veneer and ending up leaking out the top of the bay window.

Also here is a link to a youtube video showing the mortar joints leaking:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCapxd9AixQ[/ame]
Attached Thumbnails
How to deal with this water problem (pics inside)?-2mhwp4x.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 05-12-2014 at 06:30 PM.
hammerlane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,500

Your finished grade (landscaping) is to high and needs to be below your yellow arrows at least 6-8".
Old 05-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #9

It's level with the walkway to the front porch though. If I lowered it, I'd have a steep drop-off there on the left side (if facing house) of the walkway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick G. View Post
It's level with the walkway to the front porch though. If I lowered it, I'd have a steep drop-off there on the left side (if facing house) of the walkw
Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear but think about it, your landscaping is above and against the cold joint between your foundation and the bottom of your floor joist and sill plate.

Your landscaping is acting as a pond/sponge holding water and allowing it to seep in at the foundation to sill location.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #11

This is one of the reasons I have big issues with contractors and inspectors alike. At no point did this seem like a bad idea or even worth mentioning.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #12
Rob

Rewards Points: 552

[QUOTE=kwikfishron;1349672]Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear but think about it, your landscaping is above and against the cold joint between your foundation and the bottom of your floor joist and sill plate.

Your landscaping is acting as a pond/sponge holding water and allowing it to seep in at the foundation to sill location and the weep holes are probably not letting the water out.

I am guessing that bed was added at a later time.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robpo For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-13-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #13

Unfortunately, the bed was finished before the house was.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 624

We don't know a few things.

What is your location?

What is the flashing detail on the wall? Hopefully there will be housewrap behind the veneer which will lead water down the wall. It would be easier to understand water coming in at the top of the concrete wall if the veneer sits on the top of the wall. To have water coming in at the sill plate of the framed wall and not the top of the concrete wall (lower down) is strange.

Does the veneer start on the top of the wall or is there a brick ledge?

Why do you have a downspout near an entry? You must have a bit of roof over the entry which this downspout serves?

I would surely extend that downspout out to the edge of the small retaining wall anyway.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,162

Start by taking a shovel and digging down by the foundation near that downspout and see if any cracks are visible. I would also definitely extend that downspout. DO not discount those window sills also.

Advertisement

hammerlane is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-13-2014)