Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #1

Share |

How to cut cement backerboard?

I was tempted to try to cut some cement backerboard with a sawzall yesterday (removing tile countertop) but stopped because I figure it would ruin the blade, which was meant for wood and nails.
Is it possible to cut backerboard with a sawzall? Would you have to buy a special blade?

THanks

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Tileguy

You can cut it but it will raise some dust. Less dust than some other methods tho. So you sacrifice a blade or two, not a big deal.

You can get recip blades with a corborundum edge, that would be the blade to use.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
journeyman carpenter

ive cut it several ways. ive done it with a circular saw with a old wood blade, mini grinder, and the score and snap method. mind you score and snap takes quite a few passes with a knife but there is a tool made for this that has a carbide tooth.. most big box stores have it
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
I was tempted to try to cut some cement backerboard with a sawzall yesterday (removing tile countertop) but stopped because I figure it would ruin the blade, which was meant for wood and nails.
Is it possible to cut backerboard with a sawzall? Would you have to buy a special blade?

THanks
Circular saw with a diamond blade and a shop vacuum. Seal the room and wear a good mask and eye protection.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
DIY staff

If you are just demolishing the top---would it be possible to just drive a flat bar under the board and then just break it up with a hammer once you get a gap under it?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
journeyman carpenter

mikes right. with the idea of using a recip.. you'll have to go to a supplier such as hilti to get a decent recip blade to cut the stuff.. very few big box stores sell recip blades that can actually cut concrete board and last more than a few inches of cut
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #7

I have one last section to go. I've exposed two sides of plywood by knocking off tiles on the sides. 3rd side is against the wall, it is supported underneath by a piece of wood nailed to the wall. I think if I knock off one line of tiles above it, then I can tear off the supporting wood underneath, and that 3rd side will be loosed enough to pry the plywood up and off! So maybe I won't have to try to cut through.
Someone told me this stuff is not actually backerboard, it is two layers of concrete, each layer with mesh on both sides.
darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:07 AM   #8
DIY staff

That sounds like Durrock---a soft concrete with a nylon mesh on either side,---it will crumble easily with a few blows from a hammer.