How To Combine Two Different Angles Of A Porch Roof At The Corner - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
web designer and printer

Rewards Points: 10
Question

How to combine two different angles of a porch roof at the corner

I don't know what I'm doing, but my husband and carpenter do. They are having trouble with figuring out how to feather the angle though. The roof is steeper on one side of the porch. Should they feather it in the front by shimming 1/4" at a time or should they break it up on both sides? I'm just trying to help them.

Advertisement

northstarws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

can't get a grasp on what your trying to do so post a picture

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

As bb noted, a picture, or more detailed description would help, as we are not quite sure what it is you are attempting to describe.
Is this the rafter framing? Is this the roof sheathing? Are these the roof shingles? Are these the roof trim boards? Please clarify what it is that they are trying to "feather in".

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
web designer and printer

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

So I don't know if this gives you a better idea, but I hope it does. Our carpenter doesn't seem to be able to wrap his head around the math or the concept. The decking on the front of the house is shorter than the decking on the side of the house by about 16". My husband has an idea to feather it starting on the left side of the porch and shimming in increments to the right side. Is he correct? He is due for surgery on a torn rotary cuff in two weeks and time is important. If we could just figure this out, everything else would go quickly.

My husband is revisiting the numbers and will take over this discussion. He will have numbers and more for you later today. Thank you for taking such an interest.

Laura Lynch
Attached Thumbnails
How to combine two different angles of a porch roof at the corner-100_0083.jpg   How to combine two different angles of a porch roof at the corner-100_0082.jpg   How to combine two different angles of a porch roof at the corner-100_0084.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by northstarws; 08-09-2008 at 11:52 AM.
northstarws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

This is what we call a bastard hip. you are going to have two different pitches and different width overhangs in order to achieve the same fascia line around the porch.
I will need the height of the ridge (ledger) from the top of the girder. On both sides. this will give me the rise of both rafters. with the dimensions you have given us I'll be able to give you your length of your rafters and off set of the hip.. Also let me know what is the width of your overhang, Sorry about the injury to your husbands WING. I have had the same two years back. Good luck BOB

Last edited by buletbob; 08-09-2008 at 11:31 PM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

If it was my project I would post in the Carpentry section, being that it's a structual issue.
As a roofer, having the roof going from the hip down the side of the home steeper or flatter than the roof going from the hip across the front of the home is no big deal at all as far as roofing it.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
If it was my project I would post in the Carpentry section, being that it's a structual issue...
Because it is structural, or has to do with framing,...it is in the: "Building & Construction" section, and not "carpentry"...I think the site mods moved it there.

Carpentry is a generalized subject that refers, more so, to working with "wood". That can be; cabinetry, moldings, trim, furniture, etc. People (carpenters) who specialize in such areas, don't always know about framing and structural matters. The OP's question is more of a framing and structural question. That is why it is in the B&C forum, rather than "carpentry" section.
Just thought I'd clarify this, for any other readers that may have future questions, and would like to know the best forum to get answers in.

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-10-2008 at 11:38 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angles , roof , roof corners , roofing