How To Close Crawl Space? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

how to close crawl space?

I have a crawl space in my basement under the florida room. Im going to put up a wall in front of the opening as I am remodeling the basement. I already put up insulation between the joists (you could feel the cold come up through the floor during the winter). I have 6mm plastic that I will put on top of the ground. What is the proper way to close up the opening? Do I need to have air circulation in there? The prior set up was a frame of 1x2 around the opening and a piece of wainscoating that sealed the opening off (I guess they used scrap materials). I remember seeing something online regarding venting crawl spaces but I could not find it.

Advertisement

Leoskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,052

Vent or not: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/te...entilation.pdf

This on basements. Just enter crawl space in the search box, top, far right. http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ent-insulation

Be safe, G

Advertisement

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #3

I screwed up. I found the original article on insulating crawl spaces that I used to figure out how to do it. What I failed to notice is that the insulation used in the pic did not have any backing on it. I put up insulation that has a paper vapor barrier. I found a few pics online that showed what happens to that paper over time.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation? I would have to take everyting off being that it took me so long to do in such a tight space. Twice while I was installing the insulation I felt like I was about to have a panic attack from being in such an enclosed space with little wiggle room.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #4

I have slit the v.b. with a utility knife repeatedly to allow it to breath. Be safe, G
Old 08-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskee View Post
I screwed up. I found the original article on insulating crawl spaces that I used to figure out how to do it. What I failed to notice is that the insulation used in the pic did not have any backing on it. I put up insulation that has a paper vapor barrier. I found a few pics online that showed what happens to that paper over time.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation? I would have to take everyting off being that it took me so long to do in such a tight space. Twice while I was installing the insulation I felt like I was about to have a panic attack from being in such an enclosed space with little wiggle room.
It's funny you mention that, I just tore a basement wall full of mold, and they used this exact type of insulation against the cement. They had put tarpaper on the cement first though, but I could have sworn that stuff was suppose to go OUTSIDE, not INSIDE lol.

I seen on a TV show where they just glued styrofoam insulation right on the cement, then put regular insulation on top. Not sure if this is the proper way or not, but seems like it would work well.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #6

No vapor barriers on the concrete basement wall, at least below grade. 1" foam board glued directly to the concrete, foil taping all seams. 1" air space to the wood frame wall with unfaced fiberglass batts. Drywall and latex paint to allow the moisture to dry to the inside, as per: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ent-insulation
Be safe, G
Old 08-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #7

What I am talking about is a crawl space not walls. I put insulation up between the joists. The fiberglass went in first and I stapled the paper vb end to the joists.

So cutting up the paper is a possible solution?! Is that something that would pass inspection?

Also, how do you know if you have to vent?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #8

A quick call to your local Building Department will answer, as all areas are different. They would answer both questions satisfactorily.
I used un-faced roll insulation, held up with spring wires from the big box store. Pros use a string gun, stapling string cross-hatched to the joist bottoms with one hand, installing batts with the other.
Be safe, G

Advertisement