Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #1

Share |

How to Clean Up Caulk Mess on Driveway Left By Construction Crew

I have several dime-quarter size blobs of white caulk on my 5 year old driveway. I'm not sure what type of caulk was used...innocent mistake caused by a company that I had out to do some particular work on my home and by the time it was caught, the caulk was dry. Long story why I prefer they don't return to do the cleanup. I was told that using a wire brush would take care of it and that was bad advice. Of course the first inconspicuous spot I tried, the caulk came right off, so then I started on two of the spots that were more prominently situated. Not only is the caulk still there, each of those two particular spots of caulk is surrounded by the darkened areas from the wire brush (but I stopped as soon as I realized). Picture those surrounded by a few more caulk spots that I left alone, and it's a big eyesore on an area of my driveway that is right in front of my sidedoor.

I'd GREATLY appreciate some tips on getting the caulk off. Is there anything that can be done about darkened areas that I caused by using the wire brush? Considering these are very thin layers of caulk, is there a chance that they'll slowly peel away (cold winters here)?

Many thanks.
-TG

Last edited by ToolbeltGal; 09-24-2010 at 10:20 PM.
ToolbeltGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #2

Once they dry completely, peel them off. Is that doesn't work, power wash the area.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Once they dry completely, peel them off. Is that doesn't work, power wash the area.
Ron
I appreciate your attempt at helping, but it's nowhere near as easy as you make it sound. The blotches of caulk are fully dry but not peelable. Powerwashing did nothing. I have tried extensive elbow grease with a nylon brush and a wire brush (a mistake). I've also tried mineral spirits and acetone (tried seperately on different days, not together) combined with the nylon brush but am hesitant to try anything else that someone doesn't specifically recommend as being effective and safe for the 4 year old cement on my driveway. Also looking for any ideas on how to lighten the dark spots left by my use of the wire brush. These are a terrible eyesore in a rather prominent area right outside my sidedoor and hoping someone has some experience effectively removing these buggers! Many thanks. -TG
Old 09-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #4

If you power washed it and it didn't come off, the powerwasher was not up to the job. What psi size machine did you use? I've powerwashed 60 year old paint from brick. If a 2500 psi washer can't get it off, there is nothing you will do by hand to solve the problem.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
Mod

I agree with Ron, you need more pressure in that washer. If the red tip won’t do it nothing will.

If your washer doesn’t come with 4 tips then it’s defiantly the wrong
machine for the job.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 09-25-2010 at 04:16 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #6

Aha... I'm new to powerwashing and had read that powerwashing too aggressively can damage concrete. Any thoughts on that? I'm certain that what I used was less than 2500psi. Thanks much to you both for pointing me in the right direction. -TG
Old 09-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #7

we use 4,000 psi & 4gpm machines together w/turbo nozzles,,, while its possible to damage the concrete's cement paste, it does remove the excess surface laitance however we usually resurface & that's o'kill for your d/w,,, howzabout using a magic marker to disguise 'em ? ? ?

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote