Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #1

Share |

How can I make Deck handrails out of 5/4 x 6 Fiberon Protech?

I'm FINALLY getting my deck done and trying to find a handrail system for my new deck. I originally wanted to use 2x4's and a 5/4 x 6 top cap with belly ballusters; but that will far excede my budget; so I've been shopping around for an alternative.

I found someone liquidating some 12' Fiberon Gray Birch 5/4 x 6 boards for a very good price. He didnt know which model of Fiberon they were, but I only see Protech in that color so assume it's Protech. They only problem I can see is they are the slotted not the solid and affraid that will look weird unless I fill the slot or slide some kind of insert filler into it.

Its such a good price, I could actually afford it for the top and bottom rail to hold the belly ballusters, but don't think it will look good.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I could use these 12' pieces to do my entire handrail with some 4x4 and post sleeves? Has anyone done this themselves?

peakcelln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #2

There going to sag like crazy.
They need support every 16".
Build your rals and balisters then just cover the top 2 X 4 with the composit. Insert the screws from under the rails so they do not show.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #3

The 5/4 x 6" would sag more than a 2x4? I realize they would sag flat, but in a vertical position I thought they would sag less. I was more concerned with the aesthetics.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

theres a couple things you can do to stiffen it up and make it look good but they take extra time and money.. or you can simply put squash block under the bottom rail every 16" or so to stop the sag
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #5

Do you really thing a 5/4 x 6 would sag when used vertically? I knew the 2 x4's would, but not a 5/4 x 6 attached vertically...
Old 10-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #6

what are you using this for if it is installed vertically?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #7

Ok, I'm beginning to think I really did not explain it well in my OP. I can get brand new Fiberon Protech 5/4 x 6 at about $1'. I asking if anyone ever built, or knew how to build, a deck railing sysytem out of it. I figured one horizontally for the top piece and then two attached vertically for the top and bottom rail. Between those two rails I would attach some belly ballusters I found for $4.19pc. I figure I'll put in a 4x4 post and use a fiberon post sleeve on it.

I just didnt know if it could be done, what it would look like, and if anyone had done it or had other suggestions. I hope this explains it better.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #8

Still no suggestions? I figured someone had access to a bunch of 5/4 x 6 " planks and decided to make their deck handrails with them...I guess not.

Tags
fiberon, gray birch, handrail, protech