Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #1

Share |

How can I insulate precast concrete slabs, and prevent mold of coming back?

Our condominium in Eastern Europe was built in early 80’s. Building was economical production, built of precast concrete slabs without any finish or insulation – only paint. These types of buildings were very popular in Eastern Europe after the WWII. Right now, we are spending winter in this condo, and I must say it’s very cold. The worst thing is that our heat is controlled by the thermal power station. The heat is being turned-off every evening, and than back-on in the morning. In the meantime, there is nothing to keep the heat inside. Only our cast iron radiators stays slightly warm, but within minutes it feels cold like in the refrigerator. Our walls are starting to show mold due to the condensation. We are thinking to put drywall and some type of insulation to prevent lose of heat. Also, we need to do something to prevent mold of coming back again. Our rooms are pretty small so we need to do all this with the slightest space loss. I would appreciate if you could give us some advice or idea. Thank you!

Last edited by Ivance; 12-18-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Ivance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #2

You should check with a contractor in your area but you should be able to add a waterproof sheet then insulate and drywall. My husband works for McCarthy http://www.mccarthy.com/work/commercial/
and we recently took on finishing our basement. The walls were pored and were always very cold, but now it stays fairly warm. Good luck and stay warm!
angdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #3

Thank you Angdeer. Finding a contractor in this area to work with drywall is very hard. This is something new here, something that is just starting. I didnít hear that anyone is doing this kind of projects yet. There is only one store in the whole city or even country that is selling drywall. Our best option is to find a good advice from a contractor, and to do it ourselves. Even if we would find somebody to do this, I doubt that he would have any more experience than us.
Ivance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #4

That really stinks, well good luck to you.
angdeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drywall, heat, insulation, mold