Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #1

Share |

How to buildout veneer stone

Hello,
I have a question that I was hoping someone would have some ideas on.
I'm installing veneer stone on a block wall and I need it to stick out from the wall approx. 3" to be even with the framed wall on either side.
The stone is only about 1" - 1 1/2" thick, so I need to put something on the wall behind the stone to build it out, but it needs to be fireproof.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Itchbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #2

I'd guess metal framing with cement backer board would work. A pro will likely advise.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #3

I'm in about the same situation, so just wanted to bring this post back to life. Anymore ideas?
6fthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fthook
I'm in about the same situation, so just wanted to bring this post back to life. Anymore ideas?
What I ended up using was solid concrete block/slabs that were approx 8x16x2 and basically built up a wall against the block wall (foundation) and then attached the stone to the new wall. It worked out perfect! The block/slabs comes in different sizes and can be purchased at your local brick yard.
Itchbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #5

Did you lay them flat horizontal or vertical? That's what I was thinking of doing, but I'm not sure if that much weight would be an issue for me. Thanks!
6fthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchbo View Post
What I ended up using was solid concrete block/slabs that were approx 8x16x2 and basically built up a wall against the block wall (foundation) and then attached the stone to the new wall. It worked out perfect! The block/slabs comes in different sizes and can be purchased at your local brick yard.
How did you attach the solid concrete wall to the block wall?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Plain old patio blocks work well, and can be "buttered" to adhere to the existing wall, just like the thin stone. You can also add some Tapcons through the face once they dry as well.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote