How To Build A Porch - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to build a Porch

So here is my question, I know the basics of building a porch and the only thing im not sure about is how to bolt up the brace to the side of the home. Ive seen several types and just wanted to get your guys input on what has been best for you all.

Should I cut into the siding? How do I determine if im hitting studs behind the siding? And what kind of hardware should I be using? Any examples or pictures would be awesome ill post up pics of the side of my house.

The goal is to cover half of my existing deck by sinking 4x4 along the exterior of the deck railing and then pulling off the side of the house at a slight angle for rain and light snow. I will be adding a series of skylights to keep it bright and open as well, then finish with comp roofing.

Any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by h0wl0ngcanitbe; 02-19-2012 at 08:09 PM.
h0wl0ngcanitbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

How to build a Porch

Hello Howlong, and welcome to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

The best way, draw up a set of plans, or hire a designer to draw up a set for you, pull that all important permit (if required in your area). In those plans you will find connection details, anchor details, footing details, you know the kinda important stuff that keeps things from falling down.

Mark

Advertisement

ben's plumbing (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #3

How to build a Porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Hello Howlong, and welcome to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

The best way, draw up a set of plans, or hire a designer to draw up a set for you, pull that all important permit (if required in your area). In those plans you will find connection details, anchor details, footing details, you know the kinda important stuff that keeps things from falling down.

Mark
Thanks for the response Jack, I feel that there is no need to hire a designer to show me hot too accomplish one part of this. I know how to do the rest of the build its simple enough. I just need to know how to mount the 4x4, or the 4x6 onto the side of the house to lean the porch off of. Or if there is a different way rather then stretching a large piece of hardware across the house ill go with that route.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

How to build a Porch

Watch this, but you will have to look into proper footings for your posts

h0wl0ngcanitbe (02-19-2012), Nailbags (02-20-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #5

How to build a Porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Watch this, but you will have to look into proper footings for your posts

Now thats what im talking about!!! Gotta love youtube thanks Jack that was perfcet
Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #6

How to build a Porch

Now my last question is how to determine if im hitting framing, I can clearly see a center line that runs across the whole midsection of the home. Would mounting my ledger board directly above that ensure that I hit a frame? I guess I can always do some exploratory drilling but id like to start from the best possible positioning prior to drilling.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 274

How to build a Porch

I can clearly see a center line that runs across the whole midsection of the home.

That more than likely is the rim board for the second story floor joists. If those joists are TJIs, you'll have to move up higher and tie into wall studs.

*disclaimer* I'm just going by what I see in a picture.

Advertisement

Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote