Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2009, 06:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how to build an open garage?

im thinking of building one.never built one. im jus wondering how far apart do i put the 2 x 4's from each other. this is gonna b built on the side of the trailer i live in. what roofing materials can i use? i was looking at lowes, the corregated roof panels or fibergalss. any other options?

weedfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,498

Standard spacing for studs is 16"OC.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:36 AM   #3

whats oc?
Old 05-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

On Center

DM
Old 05-02-2009, 07:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfan View Post
im thinking of building one.never built one. im jus wondering how far apart do i put the 2 x 4's from each other. this is gonna b built on the side of the trailer i live in. what roofing materials can i use? i was looking at lowes, the corregated roof panels or fibergalss. any other options?
What you can do will depend on where you live. The construction mentioned will not work in northern regions with a snow load.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

you are building a "lean to" and I doubt it will be acceptable to attach it to a trailer. It will most likely be required to be self supporting and you should not use 2X4 material for the roof rafters unless the width is quite short and there is no snow, ever, where you live.

You should speak with your building department. They are who controls what can and cannot be built in your area.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:48 AM   #7

anything pretty much goes in this sorry a** nasty trailerpark....thanx for all responses. what should i use besides 2 x 4? it hardly snows out here. whats crown the lumber mean?

Last edited by weedfan; 05-04-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
anything pretty much goes in this sorry a** nasty trailerpark....thanx for all responses. what should i use besides 2 x 4? it hardly snows out here. whats crown the lumber mean?

Means all lumber has a bow to it, when you build your room or wall take each piece of lumber look down the length and you will see a bow, make an arrow on the side facing up or bowed up.
Now when you build your roof face all crowns (high sides) up. When you build your walls all crowns out. That way all your floors, walls, roof, are straight when you look down them or go to sheet rock them.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULTINI View Post
Means all lumber has a bow to it, when you build your room or wall take each piece of lumber look down the length and you will see a bow, make an arrow on the side facing up or bowed up.
Now when you build your roof face all crowns (high sides) up. When you build your walls all crowns out. That way all your floors, walls, roof, are straight when you look down them or go to sheet rock them.
I dont think it matters ....at this point the OP needs more help than figuring out which way his stick bends. At this point he doesnt posess the building knowledge to erect a structure that people walk under. But I could be wrong so here goes......Nap may be right about the free standing method but you wont know unless you call your building department. That said use no less than 2x6 rafters at 24"oc supported by the required number of 4x4 posts set on and attached to concrete footers to below frost line if for nothing else than to hold it down when the wind blows. Run purlins accross the tops of the rafters at 24"oc and screw down the roofing material. I think you still need 3/12 pitch even with a steel roof. I'd stay away from the fiberglass ones but its a matter of choice. You could also plywood the deck and use roll roofing. Probably a more economical choice. You didnt say where you where so we really dont know how much snow is "hardly any". Maybe a picture of the site would get some more feedback. Good luck with your project.

Last edited by 12penny; 05-04-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: clarify my meaning
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
the Musigician

hmmm.... when i'm buying boards and i look down it and see a bow, i don't BUY that one!

DM
Old 05-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #11

Quote:
How much construction experience do you have? If you can't build this correctly, it will collapse, possibly cause injury or worse.
A cloth car cover might be a prudent alternative.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
hmmm.... when i'm buying boards and i look down it and see a bow, i don't BUY that one!

DM

FYI All boards have a crown I don't care how long you look at them.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #13

ya ya get him get him! anyways this is kind of what im thinkin. its not gonna b that long though. dont look like 2 x 4 on the side but on the roof it does. this ones attached to the house. ill try to get a pic of my place.
Attached Thumbnails
how to build an open garage?-picture186.jpg  

Last edited by weedfan; 05-05-2009 at 12:59 AM.