DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

how to build an open garage?

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  weedfan 
#1 ·
im thinking of building one.never built one. im jus wondering how far apart do i put the 2 x 4's from each other. this is gonna b built on the side of the trailer i live in. what roofing materials can i use? i was looking at lowes, the corregated roof panels or fibergalss. any other options?

#5 ·
What you can do will depend on where you live. The construction mentioned will not work in northern regions with a snow load.
Ron

#6 ·
you are building a "lean to" and I doubt it will be acceptable to attach it to a trailer. It will most likely be required to be self supporting and you should not use 2X4 material for the roof rafters unless the width is quite short and there is no snow, ever, where you live.

You should speak with your building department. They are who controls what can and cannot be built in your area.

#8 ·
Crown

Means all lumber has a bow to it, when you build your room or wall take each piece of lumber look down the length and you will see a bow, make an arrow on the side facing up or bowed up.
Now when you build your roof face all crowns (high sides) up. When you build your walls all crowns out. That way all your floors, walls, roof, are straight when you look down them or go to sheet rock them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.