Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Share |

How to build an awning over this door?

Can anyone tell me the best way to put an awning over this doorway? Behind the siding is 2x4's and several wires. I want the awning to span from the left side of the door all the way over to cover the porch light, which both light and siding has been replaced since this pic was taken.

Might show my inexpertise, but i was thinking of doing the following:

1. Screw two 2x4's flat against the siding, one on the left side of the door and one on the right side of the light.

2. Cut two more 2x4's with 45 degree angles on each end

3. Cut four pieces of 2x4 and screw together into a square shape. Attach square shape to the 2x4 above the door, using a long 2x4 from the square to the porch for temporary support

4. Use premade hurricane roof support straps to attach the square shape to the angled 2x4's, and two more support straps to attach the bottom of the angled 2x4's to the 2x4's that i screwed to the wall.

5. Put a piece of galvanized steel (the same steel that the new roof will be made of) on top of the square and screw it down. Silicone around the screws.

Is that right? and how do i seal the new awning where it meets the house?

Or am i going about this totally the wrong way? I attached pics of the type of straps i intend to use and the front door
Attached Thumbnails
How to build an awning over this door?-front-door-awning-pic.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #2

i made these drawings to explain better. The first is the side view of the awning im planning. The second is the porch that sits beneath this awning, the corner posts are 4x4's and the deck slats are 2x6s.
theyre not good drawings, i suck at using paint, but they get the point across.
Attached Thumbnails
How to build an awning over this door?-roof-drawing.jpg   How to build an awning over this door?-porch-drawing.jpg  

Old 05-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #3

anybody?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #4

Not going to happen unless you do not mind it leaking down the wall.
There's almost nothing to attach it to.
There's no good way to flash the two roofs.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #5

there has to be a way, almost everyone i know has a covered porch. i dont care if water runs down the wall, i just want to be able to get out of the rain long enuff to unlock the door. there must be some way to seal the crack between new awning and house, otherwise every covered porch would leak
Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #6

What do you have in front of the door?
Steeps or a deck?
Head room will be an issue.
We have the same issue; we have a deck in front.

Last edited by Hardway; 05-17-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #7

at the moment there is a free standing porch in front of the door. There is 80" clearance for headroom. We cant go any higher, so if thats not up to code its not my fault. blame Oak Creek for that one, they made the frame. after a few years we plan to add a deck where the free standing porch is.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #8

Joe, you say there is nothing to attach it to, what is supposed to be there? what am i supposed to attach it to?

I guess if nothing else i can attach the cover to the top posts of the porch. there has to be a way to attach it, if nothing else i guess i can use flashing and caulk. Itll all get replaced in a year or so anyway.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I think you will find it cheaper to contact an awning company that will turnkey the awning you want, in the material you want, and provide you with a sturdy wind resistant frame and detailed instructions on how to attach it. If there is not one near you, you can send accurate dimensions and spec what you want online. 2x seems out of scale for what you want when some sort of tubed frame will better suit your needs.

You might think about expanding your plans, or at least pricing the option, so you could have a shady spot to sit if you wanted.

Last edited by user1007; 05-18-2013 at 02:38 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:01 AM   #10

all i want is something to get under when it rains so i dont have to try to find my house key in a downpour. i already have a shady spot to sit if i want to. im not subbing this out, not when i can build something temporary for less than $30 out of 2x4s. its only meant to keep the rain off until we can have the siding and roof redone next year. the only thing i need to know is how to seal the crack between awning and house
Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
DIY staff

You do not have enough space above the door for proper pitch---fastening it to the roof itself is not a good option---

So here is a suggestion---first install a gutter----then build your brackets incorporating the gutter---then a simple roof/cover starting at the gutter----I did this once for a screened 'smoking room' off a garage --

Not an ideal way,but it worked well---
Old 05-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #12

Visit your local RV center. They replace awnings all the time and may have a few discarded ones which may be suitable. They install relatively easy and are wind resistant. You can also adjust the pitch so you can get door swing clearance.
MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #13

I was also looking for to build an awning for a door that looks same to that one posted in the picture but it's not easy to put the awing around it.
ChrisKilbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #14

if you are doing a new metal roof just continue the metal over the door so really no need for flashing just longer sheets.
The issue is the lack of headroom.
If your doing a new roof could you frame a gable end out over the door, then you would have a valley going up each side, I don't like valleys with metal roofs (thinking the standard metal roofs with ribs like what is used on farm buildings.)
Or you could raised the area that is where the door is so your roof would have a step up to it where the door is.

This is more involved then just taking on an awning, really because of the headroom issue.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #15

headroom is not an issue. my fiance is the tallest person i know and he can stand upright in the doorway so as long as it clears the doorway its fine. the roof wont be replaced until next year so that wont help. i suppose we could always transform the porch into a covered porch seperate from the house and wedge the edge of the steel sheets up under the roof edging then spray some rubber sealant over the join. i suppose that is the only way to get a waterseal, even if its only temporary