How To Build/Add A Portico To A Porch - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

How to build/Add a portico to a porch

I have been driving my husband nuts trying to find instructions online on how to add a portico to our front porch. The front of our house is super flat. Adding a portico seems like it would boost curb appeal and offer some relief from the sun and the rain. I called my permits department and was told we can build a portico up to 200 sqft. without a permit. Perfect! How do we anchor the columns, and add the portico parts to the roof?

If anyone can direct me to a website, online instructions and plans that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!!
Attached Images

Advertisement

sunlightishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #2

There are many ways to go about this, pick a picture from the link below of what you want yours to look like and upload it here.
Right click picture, copy picture url, come back here, click on second to end on right, paste.

https://www.google.com/search?q=port...w=1280&bih=685

would something like this be an option.?

Advertisement

Last edited by ron45; 08-02-2015 at 05:45 PM.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 948

I like Ron's approach. The options at an eave are either a dormer, a dormer with a self-supported roof, or to extend that roof out and support it with columns or posts (what some think of as a portico).

Another option is to move the entry door itself, creating a small vestibule, which could be done to let light in. (This is more involved, and may be more than you are looking to do.)
keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Thank you so much for the reply! I like the portico with the columns. I know one suggestion was to move the entry to the left, can't do that because a couple of feet to the left is the bathroom. Here is a picture of a portico that I hope would work for us.
Attached Images

sunlightishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,492

nice looking home you have there.

if i may make a suggestion = make one like the one you linked. but make it wider, like, twice as wide. trust me, you will like it more.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
ron45 (08-03-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,336

Integrate a gable dormer into the roof line.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (08-03-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlightishere View Post
I know one suggestion was to move the entry to the left, can't do that because a couple of feet to the left is the bathroom.

I wasn't suggesting moving it left, but pulling it forward, out. (It creates a small entry vestibule.)

Here's a photo that shows the general idea (without the steps). Notice the sidelights and the gable end transom that become possible. It lights the entry, and adds depth to the plan and facade.

This is turn can have its own overhanging roof, with or without columns, etc. It's an option, and I was pointing out all 4 options that came to mind. Five if you count putting a portico roof on an addition such as this. (Stylistically, this isn't my suggestion, it's just an example.)
The Following User Says Thank You to keymaster For This Useful Post:
ron45 (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 120

You do not have the room between the door and the roof for anything pictured here.
You will have to tie a dormer into the roof.Everything pictured here are 2 story houses.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Once you cut into the roof you are permit territory I would think . Also building walls now constitutes a vestibule or enclosed room and that probably does require persists (and a foundation)
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #10

I don't think anyone here was getting into construction details. The first step is to establish what she wishes to build. Ron asked her to show us an idea of what she wants, which she did.

Clearly, building a vestibule is different than building a dormer. It was the point of the post to make sure the Sunlightishere understood all her options. (Once she decides which way she wants to go, we can give her advice on how to build it, and what will be required.)

Last edited by keymaster; 08-03-2015 at 12:43 PM.
mae-ling (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlightishere View Post
I like the portico with the columns. Here is a picture of a portico that I hope would work for us.
To clarify what is possible, your entry is built at the eave of a single-story, which is different than the various photos, which are of entries at a gable or 2-story wall.

Regardless of what you choose, all entry variants require building a dormer. It can be a gable-style dormer, eyebrow, hipped gable, or shed. Your photo has a gable roof. The photo I attached is a gable-style vestibule. While the eyebrow would look fantastic on your building and is well-suited to a shingle roof, it's not an easy project. Your husband might hunt me down. (Cross off the eyebrow.) A gable is arguably the best choice for a portico-style roof.

Aside from style--all require modification of your roof. This is something that is commonly done, and not out of DIY reach, but certainly more difficult than attaching a new roof to the wall above an existing door. Does your husband have experience in roof framing? If it's still something you're interested in, let us know and we are happy to provide construction advice.

Last edited by keymaster; 08-03-2015 at 01:34 PM.
mae-ling (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #12

this is what i am talking about. except far smaller.
http://elepho.com/wp-content/uploads...-d-595x382.jpg
Old 08-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #13

Going by what Fix'n it suggested..Maybe..

I also like what keymaster posted.

Last edited by ron45; 08-03-2015 at 09:01 PM.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:43 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,170

With your low roof line as others have said yours will need to tie into the roof not hit the wall you will end up with a T-shaped roof.
something like this?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #15

i drive in this neighborhood that has houses like hers. some of them have that awning roof, (or whatever its called) built on the front of the house. and i think it makes the house look much better. one of them is about 5'x25', over a front porch, and i think it looks real good.

Advertisement