How To Break Up A Boring Home Front? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 87

How to break up a boring home front?

Siding is finally arriving tomorrow and the question was posed to me "Why don't you do something to break up the front of the house so it doesn't look so boring?". My friend is right. The house needs something to add some flavor to it, but what? He mentioned something they used to do on older colonial houses where they would add a water board (that sound right?) to separate the look of the 1st and 2nd floors. Since I will be putting up a deck next year, he suggested something like a 2x10 look across the front. He didn't really mean an actual 2x10, but something similiar recessed flush with the siding to add a little character. He said it would make life easier when I want to put a ledger up next year for the deck, I won't have to do a lot of work, just pull the board off.

Is anyone familiar with this? If so, can you point me in the right direction? Many thanks in advance.

Advertisement

luvdairish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

its called a belly band,not really a colonial detail,and you will have more to do than just rip off a board to flash a deck ledger right

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually repairing all the damage from whoever installed the 1st non-flashed ledger. What a mess! So, I'm finally done with all that structural repair (who knew proper flashing could prevent so much trouble!), but want to set myself up for a somewhat smooth transition into a new deck next year. Just don't want a ledger board sitting on the front of the house because we all know how plans for the future workout.

The siding is pretty cool vinyl shake, but would be too much without being broken up. I attached a current pic. Couldn't find much examples of belly bands on the net (well atleast the ones for construction). What would you suggest for a somewhat temp, but safe, solution?
Attached Thumbnails
How to break up a boring home front?-2010-06-29-18.48.57.jpg  
Old 07-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

whatever you do don't try to use wood and cap it with aluminum,see if your suppliers can get you a double channel lineal or use a solid pvc such as azek,you really have to know your water management details or your going to have problems

you have what appears to be a bi or split level?adding trim just for the line it produces is not what these trims are for,typically they were transitions from one type of siding to a completely different siding or pattern,using the exact same siding above and below it really makes no design sense to me...jmo
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,498

A few windows and a roof overhang would help.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #6

LOL... kwikfishron...I can't wait to put the windows in! I've been living like a caveman for the past month.

Advertisement