How To Bond Together Sections Of A Concrete Fountain - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How to bond together sections of a concrete fountain

Hello,

I have a multi-piece birdbath-style concrete fountain in my backyard and I'm worried about kids knocking it over and being injured as it falls on them.

Any suggestions on how I can bond the various stacked pieces together? I want to avoid drilling and bolting. Mortar (what kind)? Some sort of epoxy (again, what kind)?

Thanks!

Chuck

Advertisement

czissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Carpenter nails or clear outdoor Silcone caulk.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,456

had 1 of those ( apron/vest store ) but that model had a rod connecting all pieces,,, epoxy is stronger than conc so if a little rug-rat hits it, the conc will spall while the epoxy holds onto the spalled conc,,, i LIKE drills & bolts
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Silicon caulk is not really an adhesive. Epoxy will bond everything together but the good ones for concrete? You may never be able to move them apart. So make sure it is where you want it before you plan on being able to move it easily again.

www.abatron.com is a company I get stuff from but I am sure you local paint store or hardware store with real people working will have ideas. The box store aprons will just stare blindly at you.

The fasteners may be the best idea but I am having trouble visualizing how they they would work. Obviously, if there is room, just anchoring everything around some pipe running up the center should keep it from coming apart in pieces if the kids tackle it by accident.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #5

Great tips, thanks!

I had a "hmmmm" moment and thought I'd call a concrete fountain company for their recommendations: Mortar or... Gorilla Glue!

I like the idea of being able to disassemble this thing later. Gorilla Glue, epoxy, and other construction adhesives might prove problematic for disassembly. It seems that chipping away at mortar with a masonry chisel would be the surest solution so I'm thinking I'll go with that.

Thanks again!

Chuck
Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just curious, just where are you planning to put this 9,000 ton thing where you are worried kids are going to tackle and tumble it? Maybe a smaller fountain feature in a place they would not play would be a possibility.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #7

The fountain will be in a garden on the perimeter of a sod lawn. Each of the five or so components is light enough for one man to carry. I estimate that the bowl weighs about 80 pounds. Last weekend I poured a round 6" thick concrete pad about 2" larger diameter than the base of the fountain. The fountain stands about four feet tall.

My intent is just to do a little due dilligence to reduce-not completely eliminate-the chance that an accidental trip-and-fall against the fountain will resulting in injury.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by czissman View Post
The fountain will be in a garden on the perimeter of a sod lawn. Each of the five or so components is light enough for one man to carry. I estimate that the bowl weighs about 80 pounds. Last weekend I poured a round 6" thick concrete pad about 2" larger diameter than the base of the fountain. The fountain stands about four feet tall.

My intent is just to do a little due dilligence to reduce-not completely eliminate-the chance that an accidental trip-and-fall against the fountain will resulting in injury.
Good for you for thinking ahead on this........

I would simply use an adhesive that bonds well to concrete & masonry, like PL Landscape adhesive (in a green, white, & black caulk tube).
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Good for you for thinking ahead on this........

I would simply use an adhesive that bonds well to concrete & masonry, like PL Landscape adhesive (in a green, white, & black caulk tube).
JOMAMA: What about future disassembly? Can I cut through that adhesive later?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

You may be able to cut thru with a sawzall if you leave a room for the blade to be placed in now...

Or just use adhesive PL on the outer edges
and heat them up latter on when you're ready with a plumbing torch..once it gets hot it will separate easily
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

From my experience with the PL adhesive, or similar ones, they don't come apart easily, at least for the first few years. A sledge hammer may be the best tool for dis-assembly, or just plan to move it as one unit if you really need to.

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote