Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #1

Share |

How best to block up a chimney hole when taken fire place out

I have just removed all the fireplaces from a 2 up 2 down victorian house. I want to seal the holes with blocks and cement. However what about damp.Surely rain water will still come down the chimney and rest in the bottom of the fireplaces therefore creating damp behind the newly sealed holes. Is this a problem and if so how do I resolve it

AMT33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Take off the portion of the chimney that projects above the roofing. Cover with the same type of roofing after you have secured the support for the roofing. This will also eliminate the possibility of leaks between the chimney and the roofing.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #3

Or at least fashion a sheet metal cap for the top! its needs something to keep the rain and varmints out!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #4

If the chimney comes through the house and out the roof. I agree with concretemasonry. This would be the best way and later if you wanted to reuse the fireplaces you could rebuild the chimney with any brick you want since you will only see what is above the roof.
NJ Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote