Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #1

Share |

How to attach trim near the ceiling?

We are very close (maybe four days) away from finishing the kitchen. All that is left is cabinets, trim, plumbing, and flooring. I suggested to go buy the wood to finish the cabinets, and my mom said we need to do the trim first, where the paneling meets the ceiling. Okay, im cool with that. Probably easier than bending over a cabinet to do it later. My question is how the hell do i attach the trim?

My kitchen is framed with 2x4's, 16" OC. There is a 2x4 at the top of the wall, with what looks like (i could be wrong) a piece of 1/2" plywood on the top of that. Above the plywood is the rafters. Paneling nails are not long enough to reach the plywood thing, but the trim is not wide enough to be nailed into the 2x4. Paneling nails are not long enough to hit the rafters either. Using longer nails means a bigger head and therefore easily visible. The trim is about a inch tall, and concave-shaped in the front.

How do i do this? Would construction glue work?

Ceiling is made of textured hardboard, wall is made of masonite board paneling. Attached a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
How to attach trim near the ceiling?-end-wall-kitchen.jpg   How to attach trim near the ceiling?-back-kitchen-wall.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TrailerParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #2

Finish nails are used on trim.
Buy, borrow, rent a trim gun. 100 Times easyer and faster then by hand.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #3

i dont have that option. We dont have the power hooked up yet, so whatever we use has to be cordless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #4

then rent a cordless trim gun
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
We are very close (maybe four days) away from finishing the kitchen. All that is left is cabinets, trim, plumbing, and flooring.
So...basically everything. You're probably going to want some countertops at some point too.
Seattle2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #6

Countertops go with the cabinets. and no, its not everything, the hardest part of any of it was the walls. Once walls and electric are in the rest is a piece of cake. Took us dang near a month to get the insulation and wiring done

Old 03-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Did you install blocking into which you can nail? Did you ever put the new roof on?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote