How To Attach Sleepers To A Sloped Concrete Slab - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to attach sleepers to a sloped concrete slab

I am building a deck behind my house. Part of the deck will have to lie on top of pre-existing concrete. The clearance from the door in this section is pretty low (5"). I was advised to use 2x4 sleepers and lay the decking on top of that. There are two issues with this:
a) If I lay the 2x4s flat on the ground, then the 5/4x6 decking will be lower than I want it, so I need some way to raise the sleepers 2" or so.
b) The concrete is sloped slighly away from the house and whatever I use to attached the sleepers to the concrete needs to account for this.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction...I can't find any information about doing this.

TIA!

Advertisement

mcherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Take a 2x6 or 2x8 and cut a taper into it to follow the slope of the concrete. The size of the joist will depend on how far out the deck goes and its slope.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 256

I did this - twice (stupid DIY tricks) - first time I didn't allow for any movement (frost) under the concrete slab by the door - never noticed it before the sleeper deck went down - lots of room in summer - but towards the end of winter I could almost not open the screen door (sweep at the bottom dragging on decking). Cold winters, crappy wet clay soil, etc. - may not be same in your case - but a little extra clearance might be a blessing in disguise. Just passing this on fwiw...
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Can you be more specific for how to do this...I'm not really clear on how this will work out. Lets just say the clearance from the bottom of the sliding door to the concrete is 5" and further out on the patio, the depth is about an inch more. How do I lay the boards? What should be attached directly to the concrete patio and what is the best way to attach it?
mcherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

Quote:
What should be attached directly to the concrete patio and what is the best way to attach it?
Ayuh,... The 2x6s that you cut the taper in,... Held down with Gravity around here...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote