How To Attach Deck Stairs To Lower Deck? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 296

How to attach deck stairs to lower deck?

I'm building a 2 level deck, the top deck is 5' above the lower deck with stairs leading down.

I know how to attach/adhere the stairs to the top deck, but how does one typically attach them to the lower? All the books and articles I've seen that have stairs they always end on earth, not another deck.

Do I need supports under the lower deck where the stairs attach? Or can I do something such as space my joists 10-12" oc under the stairs for extra support? I included a picture of what my plan is. Thanks
Attached Images

Advertisement

Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

My personal preference is to block between the stringers, laying the block on the flat on top of the lower deck deck-boards.
The blocking will be nailed (or screwed if you prefer) to the deck-boards and then nail through the stringers into the blocking.
Simple.

Andy.

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

if the underside of the stairs will be exposed from around the sides of the lower platform then you might want to put the decking down on the lower deck and then set the stairs down on the finished decking just as you would do on dirt. if under the stair exposure is not an issue then still deck the lower deck but just go a few deck boards under where the stairs land to give the stair stringers something to sit on.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I'd throw a double under where the stringers will land. I notch the bottoms of the stringers to accept a 2x4 or 2x6 flat in the front of them. I'd deck the lower, run the stringers (with the 2x attached) and screw down through the 2x to framing.

Tham
Tham is offline   Reply With Quote