Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Wounded Mathematician

Rewards Points: 75

Housewrap/re-installing old windows

Hi all,

As I mentioned in my intro thread, I moved a 100 year old house to an island and I am now in the process of recontructing parts of it. For the actual move of the house, we had to remove a 3-sided bay window from the side of the house (this was so the house could fit through a tight spot on a country road). Here is a picture of the bay window BEFORE the house was moved:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...k/DSCF0006.jpg

We saved the old windows and I hope to re-install them. I have finished re-building the framing. I realize that I need to apply housewrap or building paper on the bay window sheathing before installing the windows. Here are my questions:

1. I have some leftover 30# roofing paper - can I use this as building paper?

2. How do I apply building paper/housewrap around the window openings? I have read somewhere that I cover the opening, cut an X and fold it into the opening to cover the inside of the opening.

3. Do I install flashing before or after the window is installed?

4. Since the window removal was done by somebody else, it is unclear to me how they were originally attached into the opening. I have looked at other similar windows in the house and they appear to be nailed only through the exterior trim (the maroon window trim in the photo) and possibly via the interior trim. The old window casings have channels for sash weights on either side. There do not appear to have been any nails or screws originally attaching the window into the opening through the sides or top or bottom. What would be the best way to re-install the windows? I realize photos would help, but I don't have any available at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

shtoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Housewrap/re-installing old windows

those windows where installed buy the exterior trim Sides and three on top. with a wooden drip cap installed over. n

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote