Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #1

Share |

housebroken..I mean literally...lol

Ok, here goes...I am in need of major advice and pointers as I am a beginner DIY'er. I have an old house on concrete. My back porch was extended on cement and inclosed using wood studs. 3 huge picture windows were installed incorrectly..ie no flashing, no sealing. The 2 windows take up the entire wall. I am no expert but the framing looks incorrect. A bathroom was installed, the vent pipe leaked, the roof leaked. No sheathing remains on the lower half, mainly because no mositure barrier was applied to the sheathing. The room was then bricked in. I have found no ties securing the brick. The sills are totally rotten-what is left of them, there are a lot of open spaces and eaten up wood with termite damage-no live ones the house was recently treated last summer. The upper portion of the room is intact and well. I removed the panneling and the entire bathroom fixtures to start the process. When I pulled what insulation out that was left all I see is a brick wall. I am going to take out the 3 picture windows in the room and replace with 2 smaller standard windows. How and where do I start to create a moisture free wall? Can I remove a section of the wall at a time, build a new frame with sheathing, and house wrap to make it moisture free? While applying a tar barrier against the second wall to seal the sheathing? Would that work? Again, I am a beginner and looking forward to the challenge. I have an idea of what I need to purchase for the most part. Any advice and pointers is welcomed, as I am working on a very tight budget and would cut down on errors or overlooked little things that leave me buried under a wall. Thank you for tips and hints. Diagrams are great too!! thanks again.

luvthechallenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #2

Post some pictures. Don't do anything until you're sure you know what structural issues your dealing with.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #3

Agreeing with Ron we need to see pictures.The description only sounds like a total demo but even that needs to be done properly to prevent injuries and unneccesary damage.Pictures would greatly help, there may be more salvagable than it sounds.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #4

I am not sure how to post pictures..can email if that is ok, just send a note to my email mustang06boy@yahoo.com and I will send some pictures. I just created an album..so check it out.

Last edited by luvthechallenge; 01-29-2010 at 11:30 AM.
luvthechallenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Jack of all - master none

When posting a reply, below the submit button there is a "manage attachments" button, where you can select and upload your pictures. That will be much easier, and more visible, than trying to email your pictures to everyone.

See attachment below:
Attached Thumbnails
housebroken..I mean literally...lol-capture.jpg  
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #6

Instructions for posting pictures are on a stickie at the start of this forum.Posting them will allow more people to see them.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #7

after reviewing your pics and hearing your descriptions, it looks like what inadequate framing was there is seriously compromised by rot. No exterior pictures, so it's hard to determine the condition of the bricks, but my initial suggestion would be to demo and start over. you could potentially salvage the rafters/roof by jacking, shoring and re-framing (correctly) under it, then reattach. you could potentially even save the majority of the studs and add jacks etc., if it is just the bottom plate that is rotted... Of course, if the brick and mortar facade is in good condition and you are trying to save it, it will make this even more difficult and would make it impossible to properly install a vapor barrier.
freeswimmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #8

You've got a major project ahead especially for a beginner DIY.From the pictures I'm still thinking demo with salvage (rafters,sheeting,studs).Try finding a local builder or carpenter to have a look in person.If you can find someone (maybe retired) with the knowledge but not the time or physical ability you could do the grunt work. Don"t try this on your own.