DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

House Wrap - removing vinyl siding to install wrap

13K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Barry M 
#1 ·
Hello all,
just wondering if anyone has removed their siding to install housewrap - Tyvek or Plytex. What would be the concerns or difficulties? I was talked out of the Tyvek 4 years ago by the builder. Now, after suffering the freezing cold winters in my bedroom and bath - i want to fix it right!
thanks in advance for any advice.
roo

#2 ·
Your builder talked you out of HouseWrap???? So is the siding just installed directly on the sheathing? I'd try to make the builder do it. I don't think he followed code, and the fix sounds like a pretty big job.

If you're taking all your siding off you should definitely add more insulation before reinstalling it, since you're cold.

#5 ·
Are you sure it is actually plywood NOT nailbase? really rare for nails to pop in plywood.
Also, I think I would be asking a lawyer if you have recourse. Normally ten years Home Owner Warranty but pretty much structural, however you may have a case.
Removing siding and wrapping, then re install is NOT in any way a DIY project.

#9 ·
Well, I checked again, not sure exactly what nailbase vs plywood - but the siding is nailed directly to waferboard. Some nails are out all together, many out about 1/4-1/2 inch - of what i can see, without removing individual pieces. Looking at siding from the side, you see the bulges from nail pops.
I'll have to check my Warranty to see if I have any recourse as you and other folks that replied suggest.
If I do remove, i'll probably put up fanfold or other type of styrofoam insulator.
thanks,
Roo

#7 · (Edited)
Why would anyone install vinyl siding without any tpe of building paper. Your builder must be an idiot. While it's obviously necessary, don't expect that simply adding Tyvek will make those rooms warmer. I've never seen contractors seal Tyvek along the top and bottom edges, so it is not a 100% effective air barrier unless you go to some extreme measures. A good housewrap will reduce air infiltration and help your insulation do it's job (fiberglass works best in a dead air space) but certainly won't eliminate it.

You need housewrap under vinyl siding to keep your sheathing from rotting away under your windows and such. Unzip a piece of siding under a window and you should see what I mean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.