Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #1

Share |

house wrap question

When you have exterior rigid foam in addition to the sheathing should you apply the house wrap before the rigid foam directly to the sheathing or over the rigid foam? My thinking is the house wrap needs to be the last line of defense against any possible water getting in so I would fasten directly to sheathing. But if you do that you should integrate the house wrap with the flashing, therefore, the window would have to go in before the rigid foam, correct?

markharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Maryland

house wrap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharmon
When you have exterior rigid foam in addition to the sheathing should you apply the house wrap before the rigid foam directly to the sheathing or over the rigid foam? My thinking is the house wrap needs to be the last line of defense against any possible water getting in so I would fasten directly to sheathing. But if you do that you should integrate the house wrap with the flashing, therefore, the window would have to go in before the rigid foam, correct?
Just my opinion... but it should be sheathing, WRB and then foam. You can use something like Tyvek drainwrap for your WRB which would allow any trapped water to escape from behind the foam. As far as windows, why not just flash conventionally, install your window and then install padding/furring the same thickness as the foam around the window openings? The foam would butt to the padding/furring.

Last edited by Pittsville; 06-11-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Pittsville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #3

house wrap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsville View Post
Just my opinion... but it should be sheathing, WRB and then foam. You can use something like Tyvek drainwrap for your WRB which would allow any trapped water to escape from behind the foam. As far as windows, why not just flash conventionally, install your window and then install padding/furring the same thickness as the foam around the window openings? The foam would butt to the padding/furring.
You mean install the window before or after the foam?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

house wrap question

More details needed on the windows. Are you doing them at the same time?

You can do it either way but if I were going to guess, most situations dictate that we wrap the sheathing first as Pittsville as well.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #5

house wrap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
More details needed on the windows. Are you doing them at the same time?

You can do it either way but if I were going to guess, most situations dictate that we wrap the sheathing first as Pittsville as well.
Sheathing wrapped yes then rigid foam then install the new const. window or install foam after window is installed?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

house wrap question

Window outside the foam is easiest and more straightforward.

That being said, I prefer the housewrap over the foam and over the flashing of the window.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
Mod

house wrap question

Personally I don't like installing a flange window over foam. I'll pack out the framing the thickness of the foam, bring the foam up to that then flashing/housewrap.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

house wrap question

kwik, if you do it that way you lose the thermal break at all your rough openings.. as for window first then foam. NO!! youll then have to install trim aroiund all the windows in order to have something for the siding to die into
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
Exterior Construction

house wrap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Personally I don't like installing a flange window over foam. I'll pack out the framing the thickness of the foam, bring the foam up to that then flashing/housewrap.
We don't like fastening to foam either but we make a sip panel around that opening to bring it level with the foam and still get the thermal break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
kwik, if you do it that way you lose the thermal break at all your rough openings.. as for window first then foam. NO!! youll then have to install trim aroiund all the windows in order to have something for the siding to die into
+1

Makes the trim details much more of a PITA and I just had to finally argue with a client and get them to go with an outie window locate.