Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #1

Share |

House wrap meets brick house question

I added a mudroom to our home, but I am not sure how to terminate the house wrap at the point where the new addition wall meets the existing brick of the home. I flashed the meeting joint under the house wrap. What is the best way to do this? I attached a couple photos.
Attached Thumbnails
House wrap meets brick house question-house-wrap-1.jpg   House wrap meets brick house question-house-wrap-2.jpg  

joshv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #2

What type siding are you going to use on the mudroom?
If it's a lap siding like Hardee planks or vinyl. I would cut the house wrap even with the end. Make up an inside corner out of 2, pieces of 5/4 X 4 PVC
(not 3/4 !) lumber using ceramic coated decking screws to hold the two together. Apply silicone to the back side of the part that goes againt the brick and attach it to the new wall with Trim head screws.
If it's not tight to the brick a few Tap Con screws will pull it tight.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #3

How about if I just use a 1/2 inch wide piece of thin PVC trim to run along the edge to secure the wrap to the house in that corner?
joshv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #4

I think you've done a great job thus far by the two photos you've provided...

Once after you install the siding, then just add a cornerboard that looks good to you into the corner(s) of the brick wall and new wall. Then, you should caulk the corner board on the brick wall side and the siding side before you paint.

Just be sure that you have sealed well before covering your core structure with siding and finishing materials.

Ps. It looks like there is a section of gutter in one of your pictures. You will certainly have to take that down and reset for the siding installation.
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #5

If a weather-side, where the brick can get wet, use sill-sealer behind the wood framing/brick to stop any capillary drive there. Stop the WRB at the corner, cover with a small trim, as you said, but--- install some backer-rod before caulking the trim to the brick (dis-similar materials with different expansion/contraction rates/movements) for a bond break, also capillary= the caulk will stretch with the "hourglass" shape and last many years longer, giving double protection; pp. 35; http://books.google.com/books?id=XHA...0break&f=false

Gary
Old 09-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #6

Thin PVC is not going to cut it.
The j moulding your going to be using to trim out that corner will be 5/8 and you do not want the J to be sticking out past the corner board, that's why you need 5/4 PVC. 5/4 means a full 1" thick.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick wall, flashing, house wrap, joint, meet