House Wrap Or Foam Board Before Vinyl - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

House Wrap or Foam Board before Vinyl

Im getting my house insulated and Vinyled. I have wood siding right now. They are going to blow in wall insulation. I got one contractor thats wants to do just housewrap after insulating then putting on Vinyl. Another contractor that qouted me wants to use foam board after insulating then vinyl. Does it matter which is used?

Thanks!

Advertisement

FISH1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

1. How thick f.b.?

2. Where are you located?

3. Sheathing under wood siding?

4. What type of siding?

5. What type of insulation? cellulose, attic cat f.g., dense-pack cellulose, etc.

Gary

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 616

The reason that want to use foam (most likly fan fold) is to level out the wall.
When laying vinyl over old wooden siding it will tend to not lay flat and will look uneven.
I've done it many time over 30 years and have never seen it cause any issues.
Someone is also going to have to build out all the window and door trim and wrap it in coil stock to have it come out right and be maintaince free.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #4

In central. Ohio

I think the foam board would be 1/4''

I do not believe there is sheathing under the wood siding.

I believe the guy that wants to do the house wrap said it was called CELOTEX Insulation. The guy that wants to F.B. wants to use atti cat.

I cant be sure on the type of wood siding, cedar perhaps...It was built in 1954. The vivyl siding is Royal Building products, the Genises series. It is .040 Thick.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #5

Joecaption. I have new windows and doors which are already broke. They stick out almost an inch. The contractor that wants to use the house wrap said they stretch it pretty tight and will create a nice flat surface. Is he pulling my chain?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #6

Look the siding up and then look at the install directions. It will say to use fan fold. Fan Fold is a generaic term for 1/4" thick foam. It comes folded hence the term.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

The place up North was new construction and house wrap was used.
Down South old construction with clapboards fold board was used.

Last edited by Hardway; 01-30-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #8

Just an FYI, They are leaving the old siding on. So they will blow in, plug the hole. Wrap/foam board then vinyl.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #9

The install instructions dont specify what to do over old construction.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Just saying I have clapboards, folded foam and then vinyl.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #11

Tomorrow take a picture outside of the window area and post it.
How old is this house?
Measure the distance from the high point of the lap siding to the face of the trim that's on there now.
Unless they used old real 2" thick wood for the trim there's almost no way it sticks out 1" proud of the siding that's on there now.
The J moulding there going to use would be 5/8, add the 1/4 for the foam.
To look right the trim needs to stick out past the siding not be even with it or recessed. At the top of the windows and doors there suppost to install a piece of what's called Z moulding before the J moulding goes on to act as a drip cap and it needs to be bent so it runs up the wall to stop water from getting in.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,032

You are in Zone 5 requiring R-20 in the walls or R-13 in cavity and R-5 foam board (1" thick)on the exterior to meet minmimum code: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico..._11_sec002.htm

http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...001_par001.htm

The Celotex is your structural sheathing as well as insulating: http://www.inspectapedia.com/structu..._Sheathing.htm

You could go either way; minimal insulation or remove the wood siding, leaving the Celotex and adding 1" of rigid foam board (R-5), housewrap, and use cellulose dense-pack (my choice) to stop all air movement and convective loops in the wall cavity.
Depends on if you want to meet today's minimum code or not.

Gary
Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 150

honestly 1/4" foam does next to nothing as insulation. the primary purpose is to help flatten the wall when going over old wood siding with new vinyl. locally this type of foam is known as "wall leveller" if you want to gain insulation by foaming the outside i would ask the contractor about strippig off all the old wood siding then putting 1" foam on. by doing this your not only exposing any rot and leak issues that may not be seen by simply siding over the old wood which could now be repaired.. but with 1" foam your gaining an additional r-5 rating on top of what you are getting with the blown in

regarding royal siding. its one of the better brands of vinyl. ive installed roughly 4 different brands and royal is my preference. it looks together easier, its more resiliant to impact and i believe they have the biggest selection of colors to chose from
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #14

Kirk, the style is Genises. It has a thickness of .040. I know this is builders grade(cheap stuff) have you had any issues with deformation due to UV, heat, etc.?

The contractor said he will blow in cellulose, then tightly wrap it with house wrap. Will this be enough to give them a flat enough sureface for the siding?

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 150

as far as i can recollect never had any problems other than gc's not ordering the correct amount for the project.. tell em you need 11 boxes of it.. they only bring 6 then they get angry that they have to go get more a week later

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote