Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #1

Share |

house wrap or foam baker board first.

we pulled off the siding for replacement (steel siding) and replaced our windows with new construction windows and flashed them like tyvec showed, My question....mabe too late, is we used house wrap over cedar siding that ties into the window flashing, but shouldnt steel siding have a backer board, behind it (Styrofoam) and is that O.K. to put OVER the guardian guard house wrap? Man if this is screwed up, Im in real trouble. Also I just read that a foil type wrap is good for steel due to heat and cold transference????
fricandfrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:52 AM   #2

If I read correctly, you are installing new siding over old cedar siding??? That is a bad start IMHO. The old siding should be removed before anything else is done, including the windows. And you need to be careful what type, if any, foam you add to the outside. If it will not let moisture pass from the inside out, you will be trapping moisture in the wall cavity, NOT GOOD. Often, what you install may depend on your climate. Check local code.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #3

i prefer to have the underlayment installed first with the windows packed out the thickness of the foam then the wrb that integrates with the window flashing
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #4

My house was built with cedar clap-board siding in 1948. Then, in the 70's somebody resided with aluminum clap board with a pressed paper backer. Directly, over the cedar siding.
There has been no ill affect from this. The aluminum does of course have venting under the clap.
I would like to think that steel siding would be the same.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote