Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

House wrap after windows and doors?

We are currently having a house built. We discovered that our builder does not use house wrap. We paid an additional fee to have it done. We asked that he not proceed further until the house wrap was installed. Since then, he has installed windows and doors, while there is still no house wrap, and he is claiming that this is somehow ok. It it ever ok? Does anyone have a source to help me prove to him it is not? If it is not? Nothing I have found indicates this is one of the approved methods of applying house wrap, and I need to be able to prove my case! Can anyone help me out on this!

Thanks in advance.

claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,054

the house has to have some form of weather barrier installed be it house wrap or extruded poly styrene

i know guys that simply just install the windows without any wrap on the walls.. i dont trust this and for good reason. the wrap should be installed first so to create a proper overlap with the flanges on the windows. going from lowest to highst,, the wrap starts from the bottom and gets works its way up. then gets slashed at all rough openings and folded into it.. from there the window is installed over top of it with a bead of cauling behind the flange. from there a cap flashing gets installed over the top flange and brick mold of the unit and tucked up under the housewrap. some framing crews dont install house wrap simply do to the fact that the siding crew may not show up immediately and the paper will blow off the walls.. in the event of this they should atleast cut 12" wide rolls of it to install at the window opening only so its present for when the siders come to install the wrap.

simalarly.. not all framing crews "fully set" the windows. they just tack them in place for the siders to properly install, on some jobs is spec'd specifically that all windows tops line up with one another on each floor so to keep the courssof siding looking the same under and over each window and door.

no house wrap at all is just plain stupid, its there for a reason to act as the last line of defense against leaks... the siding can only keep so much out but when its windy rain will make its way behind the siding then into your house..this can create rot and mold.

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (12-10-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

when he installed the windows did he install a sill flashing?

housewrap can be installed before or after the windows are installed,the important part being the sill and head flashing are incorporated into the wrap properly

the method Kirk points to is the A method,i personally prefer the B
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote