Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #1

Share |

House without exterior sheathing?

Howdy,
I bought a very small (~700 sqft) house about a year ago. The house is about 10 years old. Since I bought it I've learned it has all kinds of issues. One of these issues is that it doesn't seem to have any exterior sheathing. The siding is board and batten using some kind of rough sawn lumber, probably from a local saw mill.
I'm not sure what exactly the correct way to put up board and batten is, but this looks like it was done a little sloppily. Here and there are large cracks between the boards where you can peer in and see insulation. No sheathing at all.
Needless to say, the walls are host to all manner of creature. Getting into the walls is the easiest thing in the world for anything smaller than a raccoon.
So, what should I do about this house? I've been kind of hoping a tornado hits it while we are away but that doesn't seem too likely. If I pulled off the siding and adding sheathing I would end up with all kinds of trim problems. And why hasn't the house fallen over without that sheathing? It doesn't seem creaky at all. It's just regular stick-framing, as far as I can tell. I guess what I mainly want to do is keep the critters out.

Thanks folks!
Philip
magnusrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Mod

Can you post some pictures?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #3

The board and batten on a house is the siding. The sheathing is ply, osb, or panel to keep the walls in check (vertically and horizontally) during a high wind, seismic, or other, transmitting the forces to the ground. This is also accomplished with wall bracing, wood or metal angle, flat strap, 2x4,6-1x4, let-in or face nailed to the studs at the corners and every prescribed length along the perimeter depending on the floors above. You don't want to caulk (immobilize) the boards from expanding and contracting with the seasons. Backer rod would limit the insects, installed on top of sill sealer under the vertical battens.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...248&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...464&lpage=none

Be safe, Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sheathing, siding