Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

House out of plumb

Just sat down at my son's desk, and I was wondering why it looks like it is leaning towards the back. Used the level app on my iPhone, and it shows the house to be -0.7 out of plumb. I knew that our house was dropping on one side, but did not realize it was that much.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,348

House out of plumb

That is what you get for having a level built into your phone!

Use a match book under the legs of the desk.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

House out of plumb

I would stop wasting money on phone apps and hire an engineer to find out what is wrong with house.

Few houses are absolutely level or plumb, although they are usually very close. Not sure what -0.7 means???????? If yours is out far enough to be visual, you need to find out why.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

House out of plumb

so, about 3/4 of an inch...does it translate across the entire house, or just the room the desk is in? My old house is out of plumb in several different directions. It gives me fits when installing anything which needs to be true, but its also part of the character.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

House out of plumb

Actually it is that corner of the house. When we moved in eight years ago, you could tell that corner had settled. Just looking at the doors on that side, it shows. And the app actually was free. I just have to get that side jacked back up is all, so it is plumb.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 506

House out of plumb

0.7 degrees means that you have 1.173" of being off of vertical over an 8' distance.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

House out of plumb

That is what I am thinking. I was getting the same reading off of the floor. I have a four foot bubble level, but I may get a digital level to see, before I replace the lally column downstairs. You can tell by looking at the block and the sill plate, how much that side under the bedroom in that corner has sunk. I think that a lot had to do with the previous owner not making sure that the gutters were extended far enough.

When we moved in, we had to put extenders on the downspouts, due to the one on the North West corner was actually causing water to get down along the foundation and when I caught it, it was seeping through the foundation aprx 2 1/2 feet up. Since I fixed the downspout issue, no more problem with rainwater causing problems.