DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

House makes loud popping sounds at night

97K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Spgrc 
#1 ·
Its a 1973 single story wood framed stucco exterior with crawl space in Northern California. The house makes popping sounds late at night/early morning ( when temps drop/or forced air heating kicks in- cant tell which). Not coming from floors, but confined to east side of house, from what sounds to be the ceilings or walls. Shingle composite roof and stucco is merely wire mesh with concrete (no foam or OSB/etc/ wrap).

On the west side of house we think there is a late 70's bumpout since it has just a slab and vaulted ceiling, unlike the rest of the house. However, there is a hugh 12X 6 beam across what appears to have been the exterior wall they bumped out. And the bumpout's exterior wall look in good shape and no sagging. House footprint is a simple rectangle.

ANYONE KNOW WHAT MAKES THESE SOUNDS??

SHOULD I BE CONCERNED??

#3 ·
outcome?

About 3-4 times a week, we are awakened by loud popping sounds in th house. It sounds like someone is in the attic pounding the walls with a hammer. It knocks pictures off the walls and is very disturbing. It is a 1973 wood frame home in SC. It happens when the temps change and has been happening every night lately. Do you know what this could be? It is driving us nuts. Thanks. Michelle<><

#4 ·
About 3-4 times a week, we are awakened by loud popping sounds in th house. It sounds like someone is in the attic pounding the walls with a hammer. It knocks pictures off the walls and is very disturbing. It is a 1973 wood frame home in SC. It happens when the temps change and has been happening every night lately. Do you know what this could be? It is driving us nuts. Thanks. Michelle<><
Poltergeist? :)

#5 ·
Michelle:
This is an interesting, and I am sure to you a perplexing question.
It sounds as though you might have framing members moving very slightly in relation to one another. This would cause noise, although I cannot say I have ever heard such a thing myself. Does it sound as though it could be something like this?
Do you have a plumbing stack in the vicinity of the noise?
Do you have a woodstove with an insulated chimney there?
Do you have a heating pipe or duct there?
Are you able to physically get into the area from which the noise is coming?
If you can, check carefully to see if all the framing is securely nailed together.
It wouldn't be the first time loose framing has been found.
Has this been going on for a long time, or has it just recently started. If it is recent, did you make any alterations in any way to the house?

#7 ·
Michelle:
This is an interesting, and I am sure to you a perplexing question.
It sounds as though you might have framing members moving very slightly in relation to one another. This would cause noise, although I cannot say I have ever heard such a thing myself. Does it sound as though it could be something like this?
Do you have a plumbing stack in the vicinity of the noise? It happens in at least two places I think. However- there are plumbing vent pipes close to at least one of the places. When we hear it we are usually asleep and it wakes us up.

Do you have a woodstove with an insulated chimney there? No

Do you have a heating pipe or duct there? our ductwork is in the attic and is all around the areas that make the noises.

Are you able to physically get into the area from which the noise is coming? Yes.

If you can, check carefully to see if all the framing is securely nailed together. I will- thank you!

It wouldn't be the first time loose framing has been found.
Has this been going on for a long time, or has it just recently started. For over a year.
If it is recent, did you make any alterations in any way to the house? Not in that area.

#6 ·
Would there happen to be a deck attached to the house on the side which is making noise? In the North East we've seen that if a composite deck gets installed incorrectly, butting of the deck boards, they will make a huge popping noise at night when there are any temp fluctuations. This is due to the expansion of the deck and no place truly to expand.

#9 ·
Michelle:
If the noise sounds metallic, it is quite possibly related to the ductwork. When wood moves against itself, it tends to sound more like a rubbing or squeaking noise. I would be inclined to lean toward the ducts being the source of the noise. Perhaps if you are brave enough, you can send hubby up into the attic when the ruckus starts up. It would be fairly easy to pinpoint the noise then.
I don't know how to stop that noise - my mum's house does the same thing when the heating system cuts in and out. I can only assume that it is the sheet metal expanding and contracting. And this would be more exaggerated at night when the temperatures are colder. The metal would be going through a greater expansion/contraction with the larger temperature difference caused by the lower temperatures at night, and the more or less constant temperature of the warm air of your heating system. I think you may have found your problem.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
popping sound

popping is never a good sign, especially when it is knocking pictures off the wall, i have been a gc for 30 years and usually this means some kind of wood is breaking either the beam you spoke of or the roof rafters can you get in the attic or is the beam exposed?
I would either sell before you have to provide a non disclosure form or i would have a professional take a look at it maybe it can be fixed? an exposed beam wouldn't be that bad to replace, but taking apart the roof to replace trusses could be. This is not merely shifting wood.
Be careful

peace

#12 ·
michelle slate, did you ever figure out your noise problem? We have just purchased a house and seem to have the same popping noise. It seems to be more in the mornings when sun heats up the flat roof. On the rainy and overcast days we dont seem to have this noise.

#18 ·
Yes, i did! When I re did my roof it turned out that previously whoever did the roof installed plywood on top of the rigid insulation and instead of using screws used nail! And not even long once... so they were only in less than 1/2 inch into the roof decking... so this was it!

#22 ·
Popping Deck

I know exactly what noise you are questioning! My husband is a carpenter and built our house 22 years ago. We have a big deck off the back and I was searching this morning for reasons our deck might "POP" He has no clue what it is! It occurs in different areas, only in cold weather (usually with big temperature change) The sound is a very loud bang, I heard it twice this morning but it does not occur every day through the winter....just occasionally. There has to be a logical reason. I surely would not sell my home because of it lol
Thanks for allowing me to vent!:thumbsup:

#24 ·
fish tank?

I've been woken up by loud popping noises for a while now. While I hope its nothing to worry about I'm concerned its the floor joists cracking under a large aquarium. I only notice it in the morning as the pop will actually wake me up. Its been happening for a few months, whereas the fish tank has been there for several years.

#26 ·
I'm having the same problem. For me it is one random bang noise and is unpredictable for when it happens. It only happens when the house cools below 19c. I would guess it happens 3-4 times at night at least a couple of hours between bangs. I don't notice it during the day but I'm sure it does when cold.

Never happens in the summer.

When I'm in the basement it sounds like a ping sound. It happens when the house is completely quiet... when people are sleeping or sitting. It almost sounds like someone striking the steel support column when in the basement. When on the main floor it sounds like someone striking the wall with their fist.

The house is 20 years old and has been happening for 20 years from what I recall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.