House Flipping Permit Questions Wisconsin - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 10

House Flipping Permit Questions Wisconsin

I am wondering what I can pull permits for as a homeowner, but not an occupant of a house. I purchased a house to gut, remodel and flip. I am trying to find a site with rules and regs about what I can do without a contractor license. I am going to pull permits but I want to know what I can do without hiring someone else. Thanks for your help. I am in Wisconsin.


SparkandArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Jackofall1's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Michigan
Posts: 2,822
Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome Spark, to the best DIY"r site on the web.

I would suggest calling your local building department for the answer to that question. Most area's allow home owners to do all there own work as long as it follows the appropriate codes for the area you are in.

You can also search the web for local codes in your area.



When its all said and done there is usually more said than done

Last edited by Jackofall1; 02-13-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Licensed P.E./Home Insp
Aggie67's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 748
Rewards Points: 826

Call your local building department and pose the same exact question. Rules vary from town to town on what they require for owner-occupied and not occupied property. I can tell you that my guess is that the electrical and plumbing will probably have to be done by licensed contractors.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 40
Rewards Points: 25

Most jurisdictions will allow a homeowner to pull permits for any work being done to their own home but it must be their primary residence. You have to ask the building dept. at each jurisdiction. Be up-front with them because many inspectors will void the permits if they discover that the dwelling is a flip or rental and you won't get your money back.
Tigerloose is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cape Cod Style House Attic/Crawl Space Insulation Help Danielg Insulation 24 05-21-2012 08:20 AM
installing whole house filter on outside of house MikeInFL Plumbing 3 06-12-2010 04:47 PM
Aluminum-wired house, questions LMH Electrical 2 05-24-2009 03:06 AM
Unfused connectors MELTED House wires WHAT TO DO??? jamiedolan Electrical 63 02-12-2009 06:01 PM
Moving a House 70 miles- Practical? GOTHICrevivalRULES Building & Construction 19 11-27-2008 08:58 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1