DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   House Flipping Permit Questions Wisconsin (

SparkandArc 02-13-2011 03:40 PM

House Flipping Permit Questions Wisconsin
I am wondering what I can pull permits for as a homeowner, but not an occupant of a house. I purchased a house to gut, remodel and flip. I am trying to find a site with rules and regs about what I can do without a contractor license. I am going to pull permits but I want to know what I can do without hiring someone else. Thanks for your help. I am in Wisconsin.

Jackofall1 02-13-2011 05:42 PM

Welcome Spark, to the best DIY"r site on the web.

I would suggest calling your local building department for the answer to that question. Most area's allow home owners to do all there own work as long as it follows the appropriate codes for the area you are in.

You can also search the web for local codes in your area.


Aggie67 02-13-2011 05:46 PM

Call your local building department and pose the same exact question. Rules vary from town to town on what they require for owner-occupied and not occupied property. I can tell you that my guess is that the electrical and plumbing will probably have to be done by licensed contractors.

Tigerloose 02-13-2011 05:58 PM

Most jurisdictions will allow a homeowner to pull permits for any work being done to their own home but it must be their primary residence. You have to ask the building dept. at each jurisdiction. Be up-front with them because many inspectors will void the permits if they discover that the dwelling is a flip or rental and you won't get your money back.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.