House With Extremely Low Ceilings - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

House With Extremely Low Ceilings

My Fiance and I found this house. It's a foreclosure. And the price is very low. Roof is solid, house is solid. Unfortunately the ceilings are 6 foot MAX. Doorways are less, on the bottom floor. The upstairs is higher, I'd say about average. My question is... If we got this, and gutted it. Is there a way to raise the the 2nd story floor effectively without weakening the structural integrity of the house itself. I'm talking gutting it completely and basically starting with a shell. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Advertisement

redracer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by redracer87 View Post
My Fiance and I found this house. It's a foreclosure. And the price is very low. Roof is solid, house is solid. Unfortunately the ceilings are 6 foot MAX. Doorways are less, on the bottom floor. The upstairs is higher, I'd say about average. My question is... If we got this, and gutted it. Is there a way to raise the the 2nd story floor effectively without weakening the structural integrity of the house itself. I'm talking gutting it completely and basically starting with a shell. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Are the ceilings really 6 foot? Or have they been dropped to that level?

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #3

The joists behind the drop ceiling is literally 6 foot. The doorways are even less. I'm 6'2 and it's impossible for me to stand up in any room on the bottom floor.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Love for Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Is the bottom floor a basement?

If so you could always go down, there are subcontractors that specialize in putting full basements under existing houses, with new foundations.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #5

The basement is a dirt floor crawl space.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Quote:
The joists behind the drop ceiling is literally 6 foot. The doorways are even less. I'm 6'2 and it's impossible for me to stand up in any room on the bottom floor.
No offense intended. But why would you want to buy this house? Give us an idea of what you are up for and we'll help you guess what you are in for.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Learning by Doing

Pictures or it didn't happen.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #8

No offense taken. Basically this house is dirt cheap. And reasonably so. But we LOVE the area. It's got a massive garage that would be perfect for my tractors, etc... That is why we love it. It's got a beautiful little patio area, a fenced in yard... It's everything we want, from the outside. My main question is would this be a lost cause? Or is it worth while? And what exactly IS possible as far as fixing this? I have no problem gutting the entire house. But is it possible to relocate floor joists for the 2nd floor, to be higher. I'm not a construction expert or else I wouldn't bother you guys. It's just a make or break on this house... My uncle is a contractor and builds houses for a living, but I wanted to get some opinions before I bother him. If that makes any sense.

Last edited by redracer87; 03-10-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,286

Quote:
My main question is would this be a lost cause? Or is it worth while? And what exactly IS possible as far as fixing this? I have no problem gutting the entire house. But is it possible to relocate floor joists for the 2nd floor, to be higher.
Ayuh,... ANYTHING is Possible,.... Practical is another matter...

Your questions really can't be answered without knowing/ seeing the type of construction, as well as many other factors involved...

There's a rather High possibility that just Crushin' the house, 'n startin' over could be Much more practical, 'n Cheaper...

Whether it's Worth While or not?? is up to You, 'n yer Love...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
FlyingHammer

Rewards Points: 75

Rather than trying to raise the floor joists on the 2nd floor, why not just jack up the whole house and install a new 1st floor? Seems like it would be a lot easier. That said, it really sounds like you'd be better off bulldozing and starting over.
FlyingHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,182

There will be plenty of opportunities, I am sure, to seek and receive valuable advice here, but given the amount of time that you will spend writing posts, posting pictures, etc., and others will spend trying to guide you through a thorough assesment of this particular house, I would strongly encourage you, since you have that option available, to ask your uncle to take a look at it. In fairly short order, he should be able to determine whether it is conventional framing or balloon framing, whether there are false ceilings throughout the first floor, etc. It is great that you don't want to constantly bother him with such matters, but since it sounds like the location and property are what you want, I would make that call. If not, my next suggestion is to start posting some pictures here, and see where that takes you. I would start with the outside form a couple of differnt angles, and as much framing as you can see inside. You should also measure the thickness of the first floor ceiling, which you should be able to approximate pretty close in the area of the stairs, as that may reveal the possiblity of a false ceiling, in which case you will need to start asking the "why" questions.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #12

Through talking to several different contractors... It pretty much breaks down like this...

Cost wise, to gut it, fix it (several different ways), and make it liveable again... Materials would be much much cheaper than building a new house, getting a modular, etc...

To pay for the time to pay a contractor... It'd be more cost effective, and I feel more logical, to start from scratch with building a new home, or modular... whatever the case may be.

Thank you all.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

I agree with Dexter.. If you have an opportunity to speak to someone you trust (Uncle), then why wouldn't you consult him so that you get the real situation... that is, unless you are afraid to hear that it might NOT be worth it..

"Worth" is a matter of opinion. and the opinion that matters the most is yours. If you think it is worth it, then I say Go for it...

your uncle will also be able to tell you the best way to get the ceiling height to be more comfortable...

good luck

rod
rditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Through talking to several different contractors... It pretty much breaks down like this...

Cost wise, to gut it, fix it (several different ways), and make it liveable again... Materials would be much much cheaper than building a new house, getting a modular, etc...

To pay for the time to pay a contractor... It'd be more cost effective, and I feel more logical, to start from scratch with building a new home, or modular... whatever the case may be.

Thank you all.
Your first realty crush is always hard. Rent the Money Pit and watch it with your fiance. Then re-asses.

Advertisement