DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

House 2 years, 5 months old now has huge bulge on side of house.

9K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Tom Struble 
#1 ·
I am no expert at all, but this does not look good and now I do not believe that the builder is responsible. The side of my home has a huge bulge. To describe the bulge, just take a helicopter and smash it on the side of a single family house. Ok, maybe that is a little drastic, but the bulge sits out around 1 foot and it is circlish (maybe 12' x 12' circle). Can someone please tell me how I can fix this?

#3 ·
Some of the more reputable home builders will give you a 1 year warrantee on everything and a 10 warrantee on the structure. I advise people to get a licensed home inspector in before the 1 year anniversary. Chances are that they can catch stuff like this before it gets worse, as in your case.

In this instance, I wouldn’t fudge with any of that: No contractors: No home inspectors. I would go right to the source; hire a licensed structural engineer. They will have the definitive word on cause and cure. They will also be able to provide you with legal ground to stand on, if in the event it is deemed the fault of the builder: IE: shoddy workmanship, too many shortcuts, inferior building materials, et cetera.

Good luck

Laus Deo

#5 ·
You need to give us more to go on than 'A BIG BULGE'---

What is the house sided with?---My guess --without any info---is that the siding was not nailed properly and you have a siding blowout---

However if the house is brick --you are in trouble.

Are the walls inside the house in the area of the bulge still flat and plumb?

Post a picture----Mike---

#6 ·
Hi Dee
Not sure where you live in the country but up here in NH/MA a builder gives a 1 year warranty (typically that is). After that they also have 7 years where if someone can legally prove that something was done improperly, against manufacturers spec or just negligent, they can be held liable.

That being said, I would call the builder and give them their rights to "First right of refusal." What that means is that you have to give them the chance to fix it prior to getting someone else to come in. Now that is what the law up here is but I am not sure what yours are.

Give the builder the chance to say no and go from there.

#8 ·
Help us help you. Pics and details are needed.

Also, why do you think builder is not at fault? Most 2 year old houses don't spontaneously get huge bulges if built well. If you haven't talked to the builder that is your first step. If you have, what did he say?

#12 ·
:laughing:what??

we call it band or plate shinkage,happens mostly on houses that use dimensional lumber on the floor system,

usually don't see it on houses that use engineered products

,plates and joist shrink at the band area,siding unhooks and ''bulges out'' mastic has a vinyl shrinkage repair clip that sometimes works

http://www.ebssiding.com/Pages/accessories.htm scroll down to the bottom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.