Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Share |
Default

hot vent pipe insulation


I have a tankless water heater that must vent through the roof. what/how do I insulate the hot vent pipe from drywall, insulation, etc. as it passes through the ceiling in route to roof?

4cedars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

hot vent pipe insulation


Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cedars View Post
I have a tankless water heater that must vent through the roof. what/how do I insulate the hot vent pipe from drywall, insulation, etc. as it passes through the ceiling in route to roof?
These units come with precise instructions as to their installation.
Was yours missing? If so, the company has a website where you can obtain a replacement.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Default

hot vent pipe insulation


The heater is installed per the directions. There was no insulation directions for passing through the insulated joists between the first floor and the roof. Is there a fireproof insulation that could be used?
4cedars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

hot vent pipe insulation


Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cedars View Post
The heater is installed per the directions. There was no insulation directions for passing through the insulated joists between the first floor and the roof. Is there a fireproof insulation that could be used?
Post the make and model number.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Default

hot vent pipe insulation


It is a Takagi T-K2. I am using Z-Vent III from Z-Flex for the vent pipe. Thanks for your help.
4cedars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

hot vent pipe insulation


Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cedars View Post
It is a Takagi T-K2. I am using Z-Vent III from Z-Flex for the vent pipe. Thanks for your help.
The Z-vent instructions for the pipe are online if they didn't come with the pipe.
I hope you know what you're doing with this. I'd install an interconnected CO alarm just in case.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Default

hot vent pipe insulation


Thanks Ron,

The heater was installed by licensed persons 6-7 years ago and has worked perfectly. A recent decision to modify the laundry room.....forced the insulation issues.
4cedars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

hot vent pipe insulation


Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cedars View Post
Thanks Ron,

The heater was installed by licensed persons 6-7 years ago and has worked perfectly. A recent decision to modify the laundry room.....forced the insulation issues.
Then why can't you look at the current configuration and clearances and use that information?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Run vent pipe in soffit along with duct trunk acerunner Plumbing 1 09-28-2010 08:06 PM
steam pipe insulation ant1929 HVAC 2 02-02-2010 07:56 AM
Water dripping from vent pipe Rosy_55 Plumbing 4 01-07-2010 09:35 AM
iron vent pipe broken at fitting CCarlson Plumbing 3 02-18-2009 07:40 PM
framing conundrum: 2" PVC vent pipe going horizontal through 2x4 studs amakarevic Building & Construction 18 01-19-2008 06:47 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.