Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #1

Share |

Hot Tub on the deck, or in the deck: Options to consider and design ideas?

I see some really beautiful deck designs out there where the hot tub is recessed into the deck (level with the decking surface specifically, not recessed in ground) on all 4 sides, some have it at 3 sides to allow access to the front panel controls if something went bad.

Other deck designs just have the hot tub on top of the deck to allow access on all 4 sides, but this does not allow for one to comfortably hang out on the edge of the tub, or lay next to it of which I'd like to have.

My idea would be to set the hot tub on prepped ground, and have a 2-3ft border around 3 sides of the hot tub that are about 6" below the edge of the hot tub surface, or possibly level it out entirely. The 4th side would be against the deck which would encompass the hot tub by 24". Doing this though I'm not sure how I would be able to provide easy access to the 3 sides of the hot tub with the footings, joists, beams etc.

Appologize if my description is little confusing, let me know if I need to better explain.

Any ideas on what to do? Any examples online to look at for inspiration?

Quicksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #2

http://www.mysteeldeck.com/galleries/gallery/?nggpage=3

The first few pictures are one we did a couple years ago, I like this better than a full recess and WAY better than just plopping it on top of the deck.

robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
http://www.mysteeldeck.com/galleries/gallery/?nggpage=3

The first few pictures are one we did a couple years ago, I like this better than a full recess and WAY better than just plopping it on top of the deck.
That is very nice!!!! What about access to the 4 sides of the hot tube in case something goes wrong? Are parts of the surround on the hot tube removable?
Quicksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksmoke View Post
That is very nice!!!! What about access to the 4 sides of the hot tube in case something goes wrong? Are parts of the surround on the hot tube removable?
The primary access for that tub is all on one side, (the far side you can't see and has open access) any other access would require dismantling the tub anyways, it would not be too hard to get to though if needed, not a HO job for sure, they'd have to call us back in.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
remodeling pro

I do not like a tub that sits completely in the deck for two reasons. First I think it is visually boring, and secondly I think it is much more dangerous for pedestrians on the deck.

I like to keep the bottom lip of the tub 16 to 18" above the surrounding deck, then build a 18 to 20" wide enclosure at this level. This is standard chair height, so the tub surround can be used to provide extra seating for the deck, even when the tub is covered. It allows you to safely enter the tub from a sitting position, and works as a perfect place for tub users to set beverages or snacks. A single step, either completely or partially around the elevated tub surround makes this a very attractive design element, and a few low voltage stair lights recessed in will really add some visual pop.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote