Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #1

Share |
Question

hose-dispensed concrete

i am inclined to order a truck of concrete to pour approximately 200 sq ft of a slab in my basement so was thinking to get one that discharges through a hose to automate the process as much as possible.

my concern was whether hose-dispensed concrete is of a lesser quality than that from ready-mix bags or a regular truck, i.e. does it contain some additives (other than h2o) that make it more viscous and therefore fluent. the viscosity that i like to get in a mixer would, i think, not be fluent enough for a hose. also what are some implications of pouring soupier concrete rather than thicker once it solidifies (if any) ?

thanks,

- a -

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

hose-dispensed concrete

You have a very small amount of concrete and the price will be high even if it is a truck-mounted pump.

You will pay extra for a pump and you have to have someone familiar with pumping concrete. You can order any type of concrete you want to come out of the nozzle.

Excess water leads to lower strengths, slower setting and more shrinkage.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
conc repr & dec conc

Send a message via AIM to dec-conc-artisan Send a message via Yahoo to dec-conc-artisan

hose-dispensed concrete

than reg transit-mix conc but most conc sold today contains SOME additives no matter what's placed,,, you'd have pump rental incl the operator - here a trlr pump rents for $500 1/2d,,, need extra conc to prime the pump, too.

for approx 2.5cy, i'd hire the job done & save myself the work/headaches/ordering correct conc/wife complaining there's no guarantee when something goes wrong/yada-yada-yada

high water/cement ratioes produce low strength conc plus lots of crazing.
dec-conc-artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #4

hose-dispensed concrete

You hire a truck and second guy with the pump. Tell them it will be pumped and they will mix it correctly. The will thin with water or additives, depending on what you tell them to do.

$125 per yar, 125 for short load and $125 for pump rental here in LA. So $560 for the concrete plus the finishing crew, if you don't do it yourself.

Judging by your questions, I don't think you are qualified to do it yourself, so plan another 200-400 for the guys to work the concrete. This will require, screeds, bull float, tampers, knee boards and at least two guys to finish.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
conc repr & dec conc

Send a message via AIM to dec-conc-artisan Send a message via Yahoo to dec-conc-artisan

hose-dispensed concrete

min $350 - 2.5 cy min pump mix 1/2" stone, plasticizer, & w/r,,, pump guy only pumps,,, add 1/2 yd to charge pump.

they all speak english which may acct for the higher prices alum screed, bull float, knee boards, & 3 guys who'll place & finish,,, power troweling addl.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
remodeling pro

hose-dispensed concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
You hire a truck and second guy with the pump. Tell them it will be pumped and they will mix it correctly. The will thin with water or additives, depending on what you tell them to do.
If it needs to flow better, it should be done with additives. The more water, the weaker the concrete ,as stated already. Here, the concrete company sends the concrete truck, you arrange to have the pump contractor there separately. There should be no problem pumping a full strength mix with a line pump, but again as stated, you will loose some concrete to the pump process, depending on how long the line of pipe is.
Definately hire pros to do the finishing, and investigate other ways of placing the concrete with them before the pour. Is it possible to get the truck close enough to discharge into a homemade chute through a window or stair well. That is not a lot a concrete for a crew to manhandle, and is going to be an expensive pour if you have to pay a premium for such a short load , plus the cost of pump equipment.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 03-28-2008 at 08:52 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

hose-dispensed concrete

If you can get a truck close enough to a basement window, use a chute and you will have the lowest cost. You may have money left to fill and reseed any damage with a few petunias thrown in.

Pumping is not cheap if you have an extra piece of equipment. A good ready-mix supplier may have both truck mounted pumps and conveyors.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #8

hose-dispensed concrete

try a drag line pump. Heavy but fairly cheap. it is usually half the price of a boom mounted pump. If you can carry a drag line you could wheel 200 sq ft. Unless it is a crazy hill. Simple answer is no a pumper does not affect the integrity of your mud( concrete). I have poured thousands of yards commercialy and in residential apllications. good luck.
bigredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
conc repr & dec conc

hose-dispensed concrete

trlr pump, red,,, trk-mtd's about $1k here