Hood / Microwave Exhaust Vent, Wall Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Hood / Microwave Exhaust Vent, Wall question

Hi, I would like to run an exhaust vent for the hood/microwave out the roof. I have removed some drywall(needed to no matter what) and done a little digging in the attic crawl space. The kitchen is on a wall with a vaulted ceiling and on the otherside of it is not vaulted. In the attic I see all the trusses run the entire span and are parallel with the wall in question. The wall which is 2x6 (interior wall) isn't directly underneath a truss, so I believe it isn't load bearing. I believe it's 2x6 because it has some 2" plumbing running through it. I can post pictures if necessary. The microwave also lands dead center on a stud which isn't fun. I guess my question is, how can I run the ductwork up through the top plates while maintaining the integrity of the wall?? I'm a visual person so pictures with explanations would be helpful. I can take any pictures and draw any pictures if you need them to understand. Thanks.

Advertisement

tameanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #2

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Hood / Microwave Exhaust Vent, Wall question-wall-1.jpg   Hood / Microwave Exhaust Vent, Wall question-wall-2.jpg   Hood / Microwave Exhaust Vent, Wall question-wall-3.jpg   Hood / Microwave Exhaust Vent, Wall question-adjacent-bathroom.jpg   Hood / Microwave Exhaust Vent, Wall question-skylight.jpg  

Hood / Microwave Exhaust Vent, Wall question-attic-1.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by tameanaka; 09-21-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #3

The last two pictures. Hopefully you all can make sense of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Hood / Microwave Exhaust Vent, Wall question-attic-3.jpg   Hood / Microwave Exhaust Vent, Wall question-attic-2.jpg  
Old 09-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 852

wont it be easier to vent to the side ?
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,064

That is a non-bearing wall. They framed a 2x4 on top for the first plate, then a 2x8 double top plate at the bathroom ceiling line. Then short 2x4 studs with a 2x8 top plate for the cathedral ceiling backing,without the double top plate. You will be fine because the 2x6 plates will still keep the integrity of the wall, if those are 2x4 studs pictured. If worried, add a 3' 2x4 as a stiffener to the bottom edge of the 2x8 on the bathroom ceiling (in attic), on edge spanning the hole cut before work.

Gary
Old 09-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #6

Good that was my thinking too. I just wanted 2nd opinions on the matter.

Vent to the side?? The microwave has the option to exhaust through the top or the rear. Either way I would need to go up and through the wall to the roof. I am choosing to go out the rear so I don't have to cut holes in my new cabinets or take up cabinet space.

Advertisement