Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Home Theater Speaker Mounting

I'm finishing up on building a new house and I bought a new surround sound system 7.1. I would rather mount the rear and center right - left speakers in attic instead of having them hanging of wall. Anyone have any input on the best way to mount wall mount speaker in attic. There is no insulation to deal with. I'm thinking of buying ceiling mount speaker covers and just place speakers laying over covers possibly cutting out foam board to get tight fit around speaker.

jburd964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #2

Considering only the acoustics, your speakers are probably designed to face the listening position, and not the floor, so putting them into the attic and firing downward probably won't work as well as putting them on the wall.

But wow! I'm trying to wrap my mind around cooling a house in Louisiana without insulation.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #3

Ok your after a cleaner look which will come at the expense of acoustics.

I went with a white covered speaker for my surrounds that would blend into the ceiling somewhat.( they are mounted to the ceiling,not in) (polk owm3)http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers

I got mine through polk on e bay for $80.00 a pair ( refurbed, look and sound brand new, they sell alot of refurbs on ebay).

http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm This company will have speaker mounts,post wall plates,wire ect far cheaper than you can get most places.

I'm going to order a 240watt amp from them ( parts express) today for a subwoofer I'm building(ported & tuned for 18 hrtz) for the basement theater room.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #4

My house is insulated with spray foam on the under side of roof, making the complete interior of structure air conditioned. My surround sound system is a complete system out of the box, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120144.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburd964 View Post
My house is insulated with spray foam on the under side of roof, making the complete interior of structure air conditioned.
Oh! That's much better than what I was imagining

I think how well it would work will depend on the location wrt the listening area.

Imagine an icecream cone, with the point at the speaker, and the ice cream out in space. Imagine it's a really wide icecream cone with a 45 degree or so, angle. You want your ears to be inside the cone.

A lot of your surround noises have high frequency details, which are directional. If you shoot them into the carpet way on the other side of the room you won't hear them very well.

You could mount them close to the listening area, mabye a few feet from either side of the couch, but this presents another problem: suppose you're watching a movie. Something happens off screen, and the sound comes from the rear chanels. Maybe a knock at the door. The door is supposed to be behind you, not over your head. I think a lot of your audio effects will be messed up if they're coming from ceiling mounted speakers close to you. On the other hand, the opening sequence of Star Wars would be pretty cool (for those who don't remember, there's a Star Destroyer that screams over).
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #6

Thanks

Tags
home theater, mounting, speakers, surround sound