Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Home remodeler needs help

Okay people. I have a big problem and I need every one of you to help me out. I just bought a two story house that was built in 1930. It is like 1700 square feet and was in great disrepair when I bought it. I had full intentions of just throwing some drywall up and repairing the foundation and then selling it. However, the previous owner was very deceptive in his work and halfa$$ed everything he did. Therefore, this has turned into a complete remodel from the studs. I am almost finished ripping everything out and want to start working on the foundation. Here is my question. Right now it is on a block and pier foundation. I want to put it on a stem wall foundation.

1. When I build the stem wall, how do i keep it supported while replacing the area where the piers are now? After the wall is built how do I get the supports out from under it with the wall in the way and unable to jack it up.

2. I am in the northeastern part of NC, right on the VA border. I am about 3 hours from the coast. I have seen where yall advised a previous poster to dig down 42 inches to lay the footing. Do I need to dig the same depth or can I go a bit more shallow.

3. When I dig the trench for the stem wall, do I need to make the whole thing the 24"x16" or do I just make it the same width as the block I am using.

4. Do I need to also build a stem wall that supports the interior load bearing walls

Sorry if these seem to be stupid questions but I am kinda new to this, except for what I have read on here. Thanks so much in advance.

Medic507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

The fairly easy answer is to support the beam adequately with several perpendicular steel beams with jacks on the ends of the steel beams.

You then pour a footing (For Pete's sake don't even THINK of calling it a "footer" ) upon which you either lay up blocks or form for a concrete wall.

The simple trick is to just lay block or form just shy of the steel beams. Pour the concrete, and when it sets, just slide the steel support beams out the hole you left.

This does not give you a continuious wall, but it's too close to one to worry about. However, if you feel you need a coutinuious wall, form it so that there is some rebar sticking through the form boards (not enough to hinder sliding the steel beams out, then tie a short piece of rebar between the two ends, form the small area up, and now pour that.

Actually, if you run continuous rebar just below the steel support beams. That will suffice as a lengthwise "carry through".

The footing should be 4" wider (on each side) than the block. ie: 8" block wall = 16" wide footing.
Attached Thumbnails
Home remodeler needs help-beam-wall.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 03-03-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #3

Smile

I really appreciate the picture, it really was worth a thousand words. Oh, and sorry about the "footer" comment, I tried to call it right. I Couldnt remember the exact term. Okie dokie. Now that I got that information, I need some more.

1. Are there any codes that I need to worry about as far as this is concerned? The foundation it is on has been there for 90 years and has only moderately failed So, I figured if I put a better one under it i shouldnt have anything to worry about, or am I wrong?

2. What size rebar should i use. I have seen some say #4 and some say #5.

3. How thick do I need to make the footing. I want to make sure that its done right s i dont have to do this again.

4. Do i still need to put the pt lumber on top of the concrete or will dropping the 12x12 beam on top of it good enough?

5. How do I anchor the walls to the foundation?

know that these are a lot of questions but i just want to make sure that it is done right. Whenever I do decide to sell it i dont want to be known as the one that halfa$$ed my work. Thanks for the replies. By the way, I know yall like pictures and there will be some coming. i just have to get the uploaded to my computer.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #4

i also saw where you told someone that you could only jack a house 1/4 inch at a time to prevent cracking the walls. how much would be acceptable being that the only thing I have is wall studs and exterior siding?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #5

If your stem wall is block you build it in sections between the pillars and then fill in later.
You could build a temporary support wall inside the crawl space.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

I was having some fun playing with the drawing, so I figured I'd send it all along.
Attached Thumbnails
Home remodeler needs help-beam-wall.jpg   Home remodeler needs help-beam-wall-6.jpg   Home remodeler needs help-beam-wall-5.jpg   Home remodeler needs help-beam-wall-4.jpg   Home remodeler needs help-beam-wall-3.jpg  

Home remodeler needs help-beam-wall-2.jpg  
Old 03-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #7

does it have to be a steel beam? I have some scrap 2x8 laying around. Can I cut them down to 2 or 3 feet and then sister like 4 of them together. I know its not the best in the worls but I have no idea where to get a steel i beam from, not t mention enough to do my whole house.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic507 View Post
does it have to be a steel beam? I have some scrap 2x8 laying around. Can I cut them down to 2 or 3 feet and then sister like 4 of them together. I know its not the best in the worls but I have no idea where to get a steel i beam from, not t mention enough to do my whole house.
The only thing is that you are going to have to get about three feet away from the beam you're supporting (on both sides) with the jacks, to be able to dig the trench for the footing.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #9

1. Are there any codes that I need to worry about as far as this is concerned? The foundation it is on has been there for 90 years and has only moderately failed So, I figured if I put a better one under it i shouldnt have anything to worry about, or am I wrong?

3. How thick do I need to make the footing. I want to make sure that its done right s i dont have to do this again.

4. Do i still need to put the pt lumber on top of the concrete or will dropping the 12x12 beam on top of it good enough?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #10

You would most certainly need a building permit for this. The size of the footing etc. will depend on the soil, frost levels, building size and be specified in the codes
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
i also saw where you told someone that you could only jack a house 1/4 inch at a time to prevent cracking the walls. how much would be acceptable being that the only thing I have is wall studs and exterior siding?

Still jack in small increments to avoid an out of balance list. Without drywall you will not have to wait between lifts.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
Old School

Quote:

No one here can give you actual construction specifics for your particular locality and municipality. Attempting to do so would be foolhardy and dangerous. Your first question about codes should clue you as to where the real answers can and must be found........ Your building department.

All most of us try to do is impart some general construction understanding. The drawings I posted show two rebar... your Building Official may want three... or four.

I said to let the footing be 4" wider than an 8" wall on each side ( the standard is a side extension of ½ of the wall thickness ), but your man may want to see 6" or even more. Same with the thickness... it's their call, not ours.

They will also specify the size and method of footing to wall attachment... as well as wall to wood beam protection and attachment.

We all have to do it their way, period. Trust me, you will not make a friend of the inspector by showing him a drawing some guy somewhere on the Internet sent you.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
Remodeling Contractor

If the existing foundation is in poor condition, anything wrong with it should be fixed. Specify what is the issues.

# 4 rebar is needed on 12" centers,set about 3" up from the bottom of the footing

A footing is set at frost depth on undisturbed soil. This is important not to over dig and fill. They must be as deep as the wall they support (typically 12") the wall they support should be centered. The projection from the supported wall should be at least 1/2 the thickness of the wall. These factors are the same for pillar supports

No wood except pressure treated or rot resistant lumber such as cedar or redwood can be in direct contact with concrete

Walls are normally anchored with 1/2" X 12" anchor bolts set into the foundation wall within 12" of each corner and every 4'
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #14

Cool

Thank you all so much for the replys. I have full intentions of getting in touch with the building department and getting all of my required permits. I am a short time away from being finished tearing out and had an idea of what i wanted to do, just needed some clarification. just out of curiosity, what is the best way to make friends with a building inspector. I plan on doing everything exactly to specification and probably overbuilding a bit just to make sure my family is safe. i just dont want to come off like an ass to him and then make him mad. I have heard several horror stories around our county about people getting jobs shut down and having to tear out entire floors of homes all the way to the studs just because they didnt have a permit and got busted. I dont want that to be me. Are there any tricks of the trade to dealing with them? Any help would be appreciated. Maybe kctermite could give me some tips. Again, thank you everyone for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #15

Talking

The problems are with teh foundation pillars. The mortar in them is either really loose or gone. Some of them are leaning but i think that is a drainage issue which will be fixed. i spoke with a friend of mine that does construction work and he said that they could be tuckpointed. something about replacing the mortar. I would rather just build the stem wall to make sure. Any other information needed, please just ask.

Tags
foundation, home repair