Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #1

Share |

Home remodel project out-of-control

Ok.

I purchased a foreclosed home (1200 sqft no basement w/crawl) with cash. This home was to be my permanent house.

After the purchase I found that all my HVAC, ELECTRICAL and plumbing (main waste pipe still useable) were not useable due to age and condition (1943). The plaster walls were in poor condition so the thought to "gut" the interior was on my mind.

A family friend (union carpenter) gave me some advice and said things were not too bad and that he could get me back into my house.

I hired him.

No ELECTRICAL or plumbing was done - just a little HVAC tubing (crawl space), windows, siding, 3/4" plywood floor and some 2X4 stud walls. Unfortunately I found out that he didn't pull any permits (not that I'm 100% sure which ones he may have needed) and has failed to remotely finish the job. He stated that he can't come back.

I fired him.

My question is this - how do I move forward. I'm not too happy that I found that no permits were pulled, my interior of my house looks like new construction (no walls, just studs) and I'm worried what the city is going to say or do about the "work" performed when I do have them out to my house.

Are there companies out there that help homeowners like myself put all the pieces back and formulate a plan.

I would really like to sleep in my house again - been too long.

Thanks for your thoughts

JIM

JimMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMoore View Post
Ok.

I purchased a foreclosed home (1200 sqft no basement w/crawl) with cash. This home was to be my permanent house.

After the purchase I found that all my HVAC, ELECTRICAL and plumbing (main waste pipe still useable) were not useable due to age and condition (1943). The plaster walls were in poor condition so the thought to "gut" the interior was on my mind.

A family friend (union carpenter) gave me some advice and said things were not too bad and that he could get me back into my house.

I hired him.

No ELECTRICAL or plumbing was done - just a little HVAC tubing (crawl space), windows, siding, 3/4" plywood floor and some 2X4 stud walls. Unfortunately I found out that he didn't pull any permits (not that I'm 100% sure which ones he may have needed) and has failed to remotely finish the job. He stated that he can't come back.

I fired him.

My question is this - how do I move forward. I'm not too happy that I found that no permits were pulled, my interior of my house looks like new construction (no walls, just studs) and I'm worried what the city is going to say or do about the "work" performed when I do have them out to my house.

Are there companies out there that help homeowners like myself put all the pieces back and formulate a plan.

I would really like to sleep in my house again - been too long.

Thanks for your thoughts

JIM
Call in contractors after you have a specific plan of what you're try to do and get estimates.
Your locale might require plans before they'll allow you to pull permits. You'll need electrical permits and plumbing permits and General construction permits.
These permits will be put in the front window of the house before anybody picks up a tool.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #3

When considering a house, the plumbing should be taking into consideration. You no doubt have cast iron plumbing drain pipes, and in bad shape. Hitler had plastic plumbing in the thirties, but companies like tyler cast iron company made pay offs to the states to keep plastic out in the usa and with ky and Alabama were the last two states to okay pvc, only because the government withheld money for FHA housing unless they used PVC. With that said plumbing is a priortity, next comes electric, go first class. Insulation, and a furnace or a wood stove comes next.
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Love for Construction

Depending on the town and inspectors, just call up the city and explain the situation. There are a lot of homeowners who aren't knowledgeable in the area of construction and how the city permitting and what-not works (not saying this about you, just in general). So I'm sure the city gets that quite often. Maybe have an inspector or a knowledgeable remodel contractor hired for a consultation on what can be done to your home. It would probably be $200 well spent to have someone like that for a couple of hours to formulate a plan.

Tags
assistance, builder, construction, permit, remodel