Home Made Scaffold - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

home made scaffold

are there plans available or does anyone know the proper name for a ''scaffold''that leans into the building for support......it looks like a overgrown sawhorse cut in half,w/ the cut end leaning into the structure supported by a ''cleat''.......

Advertisement

saltysenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

home made scaffold

I believe you are talking about the 2 2x4s nailed into an L shape with 3/4" triangular cdx nailed to both sides. You nail it to the structure with construction nails and then jamb a long 2x4 into the crutch of the L and the other end gets pegged into the ground. I've made/used these, but I wouldn't take responsibility for anyone else using them.

Advertisement

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Carpenter

Rewards Points: 75

home made scaffold

Is this what you are talking about?

Also, if you line the edges of the 2x12 plank with 2x4s it is alot more rigid and you can easily use a long piece like 14ft and feel safe.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

Last edited by dtsman; 01-11-2011 at 09:18 PM.
dtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,052

home made scaffold

You mean lean-to scaffold: http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/scaf...s/slide51.html

No longer safe.

Gary
BigJim (11-01-2011), gregzoll (11-01-2011), joecaption (06-30-2014)
Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #5

home made scaffold

yes!! that is it...a ''lean to scaffold''.................thank you.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

home made scaffold

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysenior View Post
yes!! that is it...a ''lean to scaffold''.................thank you.
Are you planning on building one like that?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #7

home made scaffold

no, not that high.....need one about 6' high.....used them back in the '60s on a low cost housing project in neptune n.j.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

home made scaffold

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysenior View Post
no, not that high.....need one about 6' high.....used them back in the '60s on a low cost housing project in neptune n.j.
6' is still high to work off an unsafe scaffold and can cause serious injury. You must be up there in age to work off of that. I sure hope you're the only one going to work on that.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

home made scaffold

here's the new version,i have these but they scare me so i stopped using them
Attached Images

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
KemoSabe

Rewards Points: 500

home made scaffold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
here's the new version,i have these but they scare me so i stopped using them
Let's make a deal Tom.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #11

home made scaffold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
6' is still high to work off an unsafe scaffold and can cause serious injury. You must be up there in age to work off of that. I sure hope you're the only one going to work on that.

thank you for your concern......actually they are a safer than what they look....mine will be anyhow ....the ''a frame''legs are held in place by fastening them to a secured plank on the ground.....the 2x4 piece running into the building is supported on the end with a ledger board, and the held in place with 2 shelve brackets...it will take 4 times longer to build them than doing the repair work needed.........i see a bunch from jerzzy on here......came to fl. in '65 after one bitter day on a 5 story roof working out of the red bank local.....
Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 AM   #12

home made scaffold

If you hired me to do the job, I would just rent the scaffolding. Very inexpensive to rent. Most good rental places will have it. To go 16' you will need 6 frames, 4 safety braces, and 2 aluminum plank. You can rent it cheaper then you can buy the 2x4's. Scaffolding is nothing to mess around with. do not build your own.

rent scaffolding cost | scaffolding rentals prices
katarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

home made scaffold

saltysenior, hope your life & medical insurance is paid up. You can use two ladders with a 2x10 or 2x12 across them, but safer to give more platform, is just use regular scaffolding, or rent a lift, which is even better, if just going six feet in the air.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #14

home made scaffold

Old post, I know... but for others, see "Speed up house painting on a scaffold you build" on page 139 of the May issue of Popular Mechanics for plans on building your own set of lean-to scaffolds (books.google.com/books?id=d88DAAAAMBAJ). You can't legally use these for commercial work but for your own use, I believe that they're perfectly legal. As to safety concerns, ANY scaffolding is only as safe as its operator is mentally competent. I personally don't find working on a 12 or 15 inch wide (deep?) working surface or "floor" to be safe and yet rarely does anyone complain about the relative ease with which someone could mis-step and break a leg as a result of this... Fact is, a number of things can be done to make lean-to scaffolds just as safe as using a ladder (which by the way is in effect a "lean-to" itself). In addition to the notes in the article regarding safety, you should always "block" the 2x4 lumber that you use to make the working surface. By that I mean, use a couple of large, heavy duty C-clamps to attach two 2x4's across the center line (front to back) of the working surface--one above and the other beneath it. That way, all 6 or 7 2x4s that make up the working surface, move in unison and share the entire load... It takes just a couple minutes to do this... Also, there's nothing stopping anyone from tethering a lean-to's legs to stakes set in the ground to keep them from moving away from the structure being repaired. One could even support the scaffolds where they contact the structure, although I find this to be overkill if the above precaution is already being taken. .
oldphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 664

home made scaffold

I'd run away from anyone expecting me to work off of a DIY scaffold.
Only takes one fall to mess your whole life up.

Advertisement