Home Insulation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2006, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Home Insulation

Hi all,

New to the forum. Currently in stages of building a home in the Chicagoland area and am at the insulation phase. I have an impass and was wondering if I could get some help. I have a 2 story, 3750 sq ft home and and going to insulate soon. Of course I have many possibilities, but right now, I am leaning towards Foil/foam/foil plus 5.25" fiberglass batts(r-21). I have 2 x 6 walls. This should give me a r value around 25. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any help woudl be appreciated.

Stan

Advertisement

sbrzez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Home Insulation

This site tells you the recommended R-Value for your location.
http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/...on/ins_16.html

I've been looking at this Foil insulation for a little while.
http://www.insulation4less.com/highr_FfmF.asp
I'm thinking of doing a combination of the foil insulation with some R-13. I have 2x4 walls.
I like the theory of radiant insulation. I'm curious how it actually works in reality though. :confused:

Advertisement

Scott_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #3

Home Insulation

the new foam like stuff that is sprayed into the walls and then leveled by the insulation company has gotten a lot of good press in my area. it is more costly however. i should be insulating in 2-3 weeks myself and plan on using batts. but if $$$ was no object i would go with the spray insulation.
THEBIGPUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:55 AM   #4

Home Insulation

I have received some pretty good prices on Spider insualtion from JM and feel that an r-23 wall is better than batts or blown in. I shoudl be having this done in about 2-3 weeks and update from there. I have heard pretty much only positive things about this insulation.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #5

Home Insulation

Is this Spider Insulation with the foil ?
I ended up buying a roll of the radiant barrier from the link I posted above. Plan to use it on some walls, but mostly attic. I'll see if that works.
Scott_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
Guy

Home Insulation

I too am pondering the foil insulation. I was going to install R-21 faced batts in my ceiling and then blow another 12" of loose fill on top. In considering cost it seems the foil with 18-20" of loose fill is cheaper with near same R-value. My local big-box store will loan me the chipper/blower machine for free and seems much faster. Pros have an opinion?
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #7

Home Insulation

My best experiences are with the newer foam insulation. If you go with th batts insulation you should be aware that you might have a diminishing gain of insulating value when it gets too thick. Good insulation doesn't grealy increase the value of a home like a good kitchen or bathroom would. So you should consider the cost vs the amount of energy savigns for the length you will be at this house.
a1steelbuildings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:41 AM   #8

Home Insulation

Well, I ended up using JM's Spider system and am happy to say that is has worked out very well. I can definetly say it is better than just regular cellulose or just std fiberglass fill. It fills in all the corners and gaps nicely. The only issues is if you have anyone try to push on it, it deforms and doesnt come back. So just tell everyone not to touch it. It works great in larger areas and needs a little touch up in tighter gaps. Overall, for an extra $2300 for a 3.5K sq ft home, I think this product is worth it. We plan on living in this home for a long time. I know spray foam is better, but couldnt afford to pay about 3X the cost of what I am paying to insulate the house.

Another question, is how much should I put in the attic? Code is R30, but I am thinking somewhere in the mid 40's. I having it blown in with fiberglass as the Spider system is primarily for exterior walls.

Stan

Advertisement