DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Home?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Livens 
#1 ·
I am wanting to build a temp. small house to live in for a few years until i can afford to build my house, then once that is completed i am going to gut the inside of the temp. and use it as my garage. My question is how could i go about doing this in the most cheapest way? I was thinking 30'x40-50' pole barn insulated, concrete floor then finish the inside. Im not sure though would this be the cheapest way to go about this? Any suggestions much appreciated.
Thanks.

#3 ·
digman,

I wouldn't recommend finishing a gragae sized temp house, then gutting it after a few years. That just seems like a waste of effort and money.

How is the climate in your area? How adventurous is your family, children???

You might me able to buy some tents and rough it! Seriously! A large open tent for the family room and some smaller tents around it for bedrooms... Have some basic utlilities ran to the campsite and your all set.

I grew up with a Father that loved being outdoors, almost everything we did together involved hiking somewhere. I remember hunting trips in the middle of winter, 2 feet of snow on the ground, 2-3 o'clock in the moring and we are lying under ceder trees waiting for a deer or something to wander past :) Camping has also been one of my favorite activities. So for me an extended campsite setup would be a viable option if nessesary.

However, my wife may not take to well to the thought of it.

Good Luck ;)

#6 ·
I remember hunting trips in the middle of winter, 2 feet of snow on the ground, 2-3 o'clock in the moring and we are lying under ceder trees waiting for a deer or something to wander past
Not to derail this topic but where can you hunt at that time? Isn't it illegal to hunt in the middle of the night? :eek:

Anyhow, I would suggest building a large shed, putting in utilities and a wood stove for heat. Then just leave it detached on the property for storage later on.

#4 ·
I have a friend who retired to the mountains in New Mexico who did that. They stayed in a large army camp tent for the spring/summer while building the garage. I'm not sure of the size but it was a 2-stall with about 12ft left over he made into a small kitchen with a living area over the entire thing. They lived there while building the house over the next few years. Turned out pretty sweet.

#5 ·
I am wanting to build a temp. small house to live in for a few years until i can afford to build my house, then once that is completed i am going to gut the inside of the temp. and use it as my garage. My question is how could i go about doing this in the most cheapest way? I was thinking 30'x40-50' pole barn insulated, concrete floor then finish the inside. Im not sure though would this be the cheapest way to go about this? Any suggestions much appreciated.
Thanks.
What you do is buy some land for the new house, then get an architect to design a house to be built in stages - starting with a 2-3 car garage with a large room above. Ideally, the home's kitchen / laundry / utility / boiler room / mudroom with shower would be right next to the garage when the home is complete.

Then you build ONLY the garage with room above and the necessary support facitility (Mud, laundry, shower, boiler, etc) to live in while you "add on" the rest of the permanent house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.